05th December 2017
Has a conviction led to you having your SIA licence revoked?
Some SIA accredited clients are surprised to find that even being fined for a relatively minor offence by Magistrates can lead to the SIA having to revoke their licence.
Others simply find that although they fall into the category of offenders about whom the SIA have a discretion, the SIA is unwilling to take a chance on them.
Here is what to do:
The SIA tells you it has no discretion and has to revoke your licence
- The SIA is probably right, but does sometimes make mistakes about this so it is worth checking. For example, many SIA staff incorrectly believe that if someone has to pay compensation for certain offences, their badge has to be revoked. We have successfully challenged this in court.
- If the SIA got it wrong, we can help you to argue this directly to them.
- If the SIA was right, then it is still possible to do something about it if the circumstances are right. We do this for you by appealing your sentence to the Crown Court. This cannot work in every case, but you should feel free to contact us to discuss your particular circumstances.
- Thereafter, we help you to persuade the SIA to give you back your Licence, and if they refuse, appeal this decision as well.
The SIA tells you it has a discretion but is still going to revoke your licence
- Here your appeal would be to the Magistrates’ Court. This is also something we can help you with.
- Not everyone can succeed at appeal, and so it is a good idea to discuss your circumstances with us.
- The SIA will be represented by lawyers at this hearing, and so it is a good idea for you to be to.
When should you contact us?
Straightaway. There are strict deadlines whichever route applies to you. You should contact us straight away so that we can get things moving. We have expert solicitors across the country that are ready to help you.
Cartwright King has offices in Birmingham, Bedford, Bolton, Derby, Leeds, Leicester, London Temple, London Fleet Street, Luton, Manchester, Middlesbrough, Milton Keynes, Newcastle, Northampton, Nottingham, Oxford, Sheffield and Worcester.
- Andrew Brammer — Head of Regulatory
- Sundeep Soor — Head of Tax & Fraud
- Richard Cornthwaite — Head of White Collar Crime (London)
- Meet the Team
You can always call us on 0808 168 5550 or email email@example.com
26th October 2017
- Business Defence
- Regulatory Solicitors
- Tax Fraud
- Proceeds of Crime Act
- BIS & Commercial
- Office of Fair Trading
- Health & Safety
- Environment & Planning
- Environmental Investigation & Prosecution
- Trading Standards
- Closure Order Notices
- Bribery & Corruption
- Private Prosecution Solicitors
- Taxi Licence Appeals
- SIA Licence Appeals
- Firearm Licence Appeals
- Legal Reputation
- Our cases
- Meet the Business Defence team
- Free Guides
Let us know how we can help. Just provide a brief outline of your query.