10th January 2017
Benefit Fraud Solicitors
If you have acted dishonestly or deliberately to claim benefits to which you’re not entitled and this comes to the attention of the office paying your benefit, they may try to investigate you for benefit fraud.
Benefit fraud is a criminal offence and is treated differently to benefit overpayments. This is because benefit overpayments can happen for other reasons.
Free Initial Telephone Advice
We provide initial advice over the phone on how we can help you. We also provide legal aid where available. Please feel free to call 0808 168 5550 or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll call you back.
Our 24/7 police station representation numbers are allocated regionally.
Examples of benefit fraud include:
- Deliberately failing to tell the benefit office about your true financial circumstances when you claimed the benefit. For example, you were working while claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance or you did not declare all your savings because you knew that it would affect your entitlement to the benefit
- Deliberately failing to tell the benefit office about your true household circumstances. For example, you were living with someone but claiming benefits as a lone parent
- Using a false identity or using false documents to claim benefits. For example, you used a false birth certificate so that you could claim Child Benefit
- Deliberately not telling the benefit office about a change of circumstances because you knew that it would affect your entitlement to the benefit
Challenging an overpayment
You may have been contacted by the benefit office because you have been overpaid benefit. This is not necessarily fraud but can run parallel to a fraud investigation.
Cartwright King have recourse to experts and fraud solicitors who can assist with the civil overpayment and advise on appealing the alleged overpayment.
Often we find overpayments are incorrectly calculated by the investigating authority. By reducing the overpayment amount can have a drastic affect on whether the person is prosecuted and the amounts that can be considered in confiscation proceedings. The DWP and local authorities are pursuing defendants in proceeds of crime act hearings an area that Cartwright king specialises in.
If the fraud investigators already think you have committed a benefit offence they are more likely to interview you under caution. If you are asked to attend an interview under caution, this means that anything you say in the interview could be used as evidence in court. You should be told this before the interview starts. Interviews can be demanding and stressful. We are here to assist you with that interview and strategize with you as to the best course to take.
How to make contact
Contact us on email@example.com or call 0808 168 5550 for advice. Cartwright King can assist wherever you are based and have offices in London, Birmingham, Bedford, Bolton, Derby, Leeds, Leicester, Luton, Manchester, Milton Keynes, Newcastle, Newcastle Gateshead, Northampton, Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Sheffield, Wellingborough and Worcester.
"The best criminal defence you can get"
Chambers & Partners
"The professionalism, understanding, support and belief shown by the team throughout provided a lifeline at a time when it was most needed."
“Consistently involved in top-level work within the region. Continues to set the standard for criminal work.”
Chambers & Partners
“Excel in providing quality advice and representation.”
Sundeep Soor - Head of Fraud
19th July 2016
- Criminal Defence
- Interviews under caution
- Police Stations
- Legal Aid
- 24 hour Criminal Defence
- Magistrates Court
- Benefit Fraud
- Blue Badge Fraud
- Court Summons - Postal Requisition
- Crown Court
- Cyber Crime Solicitors
- Appeal Against Conviction or Sentence
- ADHD Specialist Defence
- Legal Reputation
- Meet the team
Let us know how we can help. Just provide a brief outline of your query.