01st September 2014

Can I bring my parents to live with me in the UK?

Since 9th July 2012 the rules relating to the sponsoring of adult dependant relatives have been made a lot stricter.

You can still apply for an adult dependant relative to come and stay with you in the UK if very specific and special circumstances exist. 

  • You as the UK sponsor have to be 18 year or older, British or have settled status or be a refugee or have humanitarian protection
  • The application cannot be made in country and has to be done from abroad
  • the applicant must not fall for refusal under any of the general grounds under the suitability requirements
  • the relative has to be a parent, grandparent, brother, sister or son and daughter  (aged 18 years or over )of the sponsor in the UK
  • the applicant(s) must as a result of age, illness or disability require long term care to perform everyday tasks
  • and they must be unable, even with practical and financial help of the sponsor, to obtain the level of care in the country where they are living, because either it isn’t available and there is no person in that country that can reasonably provide it OR it is not affordable.
  • meet the financial requirement of maintenance, accommodation and care without recourse to public funds ( this includes getting free NHS treatment) . Relatives coming to join sponsors with leave to remain as refugees or humanitarian protection will be unable to claim public funds until the sponsor becomes settled and thereafter for a further five years. 
  • The sponsor must provide a signed undertaking to provide this maintenance, accommodation and care without recourse to public funds for a period of 5 years after the date of entry. 

UKBA charges a very heavy fee, currently as of 6 April 2014, £1,982.00 per applicant for such an application which is not refundable if refused. 

However, if the application is successful, indefinite leave to enter will be granted. 

If you require advice and assistance with this type of application, please do not hesitate to contact our Immigration solicitors on 0845 894 1622 or email

For further information please get in touch with our dedicated team.

You can always call us on 0845 894 1622 or email on


18 hours ago

The BBC reports that according to Ofwat, some of the UK's biggest water companies did not support customers properl…

22 hours ago

It has been reported that the auditing work of one of the world's "Big Four" accounting firms has been sharply crit…

Follow us @CartwrightKing