29th August 2014

How to apply for a Tier 5 visa

Tier 5 of the Points Based System relates to two types of visa, the Youth Mobility Scheme and Temporary Workers.

Youth Mobility Scheme

This scheme replaced the Working Holiday Maker Scheme. It is a type of visa for young people to come to the UK to live and work in the UK for up to two years. It is open to people aged 18 to 30 years old from the following countries:

Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Monaco, Taiwan, South Korea, Hong Kong. The scheme is also open to British Overseas Citizens, British Overseas Territories Citizens or British Nationals (overseas).

Applicants must show that they have £1,980 in savings and meet the eligibility requirements. Your cannot apply if you have children who live with you or for who you are financially responsible or if you have already been in the UKunder the scheme or in the former working holiday maker category.

If you meet all of the requirements and your application is granted then you will be given a visa for a period of two years. There is no possibility of extending the leave. 

While the visa is in force you will have no recourse to public funds, must register with the Police, cannot be self-employed and cannot be employed as a professional sportsperson or a doctor in training.

Temporary Workers

The Temporary Worker Scheme is a government authorised exchange visa if you want to come to the UK for a short time for work experience or to do training, an Overseas Government Language Programme, research or a fellowship through an approved government authorised exchange scheme.

There are different categories of visa including:

  • Creative and sporting category;
  • Charity worker category;
  • Religious worker category;
  • Government Authorised exchange category;
  • International agreement category.

You must have a Sponsor, be from outside the European Economic Area and meet the eligibility requirements, including have £945.00 in savings. The main requirement is that you must have a Certificate of Sponsorship and under each of the above categories different types of sponsor are identified, and does not necessarily have to be your employer. However, the Sponsor must be on the UKBA register of sponsors.

If your visa is granted then you will be allowed to live and work in the UK for up to 12 or 24 months (depending upon the scheme you are applying for), or for the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 28 days, whichever is shorter.  

If you would like advice on either of the above types of visa then please get in touch with a member of our Immigration Solicitors on 0808 168 5550 or email

For further information please get in touch with our dedicated team.

You can always call us on 0845 894 1622 or email on


18 hours ago

The BBC reports that according to Ofwat, some of the UK's biggest water companies did not support customers properl…

22 hours ago

It has been reported that the auditing work of one of the world's "Big Four" accounting firms has been sharply crit…

Follow us @CartwrightKing