15th March 2016
Why instruct a Solicitor to submit your written school admission appeal?
Securing your child a place at the school that best suits their needs, is so important for their future. We understand therefore, how deeply frustrating it can be to discover that your son or daughter has been refused a place at the school you wanted them to attend. You have a right to appeal this decision. The details about how to apply and who to apply to, will be set out in the admissions decision notification you receive. Typically, you have 20 school days in which to lodge your appeal. It is very important that you adhere to the time frames set.
A successful appeal addresses more than why you feel that your chosen school is the right school for your child.
Consideration should be given to the following issues;
- whether the school admission arrangements comply with the admissions law
- whether the over subscription criteria for the school is fair and reasonable
- which category other successful children where admitted under and why your child was refused a place
- whether there has been any human or computer error in allocating places ( for example, the Local Authority did not take account of information you gave them on your original application form or they incorrectly calculated the distance between your address and the school)
- looking at specifically how the school operates; Does the school have any capacity to accept more pupils without having a prejudicial effect on efficient education and resources? For example whether classrooms and teaching staff are being utilised at full capacity or whether there are any building works for expansion in the next 12 months
The work required in properly researching these issues can seem overwhelming and all the more so, when you are having to investigate and write your appeal within a very strict time frame. Many parents simply find that the time required to undertake this crucial task, is time that they simply do not have. Others feel overwhelmed with where to start or just want to ensure that their child’s appeal is the very best it can be, to optimise the chances of success.
This is where we can assist.
We have the necessary expertise to know what questions to ask and who to ask them to. We will find the relevant information you need to ensure that you have covered all bases in your appeal. Not only will we do the research required but we will also write and submit the appeal for you. If need be, we can even advocate for you at your appeal panel hearing.
Visit our admission appeals page for further information and fees.