Position(s) Solicitor, Consultant
Area(s) of Practice Business Defence, Criminal Defence
Phone 0161 833 1411
Consultant Lesley Burrows has been described as ‘Simply outstanding’ (Legal500 2015) and ‘one of the most experienced serious fraud defence lawyers in the UK’ (Chambers UK). ‘Virtually unchallenged’ as a passionate defender specialising in all forms of business crime and commercial fraud work, Lesley’s ‘exceptionally cerebral’ approach to case preparation and her ‘dynamic attitude’ have been brought to bear in many of the most high-profile and complex fraud prosecutions brought in England & Wales.
Lesley has immense experience across the entire spectrum of white collar crime and has been ranked as a leading fraud practitioner by the Chambers UK legal directory for nearly 20 years. She regularly advises companies and individuals (directors and professionals) both nationally and internationally and has extensive experience of cases brought by the Serious Fraud Office. She also has considerable experience of criminal and regulatory investigations and prosecutions brought by organisations including H.M. Revenue and Customs, the Security Industry Authority and the IFPI.
Fiercely dedicated to her clients and giving no quarter to her opposition, Lesley has gained a reputation for being able to expose the flaws in a prosecution case and, where possible, prevent it ever getting to court.
Lesley has been involved in innumerable high profile serious and complex fraud cases over the last two decades:
• LIBOR- Lesley represents a defendant in the SFO’s ongoing LIBOR investigations.
• Operation Holbein – The largest and most complex case ever prosecuted by the SFO involving alleged price-fixing in the Pharmaceutical Industry. The indictment was quashed in the House of Lords as the alleged criminal activity was ruled not to have constituted an offence at the relevant time.
• Operation Pavlova – Successfully represented a senior solicitor accused of perverting the course of justice. Challenged the legality of both the arrest and Greater Manchester Police’s subsequent seizure of legally privileged material. The material was returned un-accessed and the court held that there had never been any legitimate basis to arrest the client in the first place. Consequently, no charges were brought and the court ordered that the police pay a considerable sum in costs. Furthermore, as a direct result of our challenge, the police will be forced to change the way they deal with legally privileged material.
• The OiNK File-Sharing Case – Successfully led the defence team in the first ever criminal prosecution for online file distribution in which the proceedings were discontinued prior to trial as a result of an application to stay the proceedings.
• London City Bond – Led the defence teams in the infamous excise diversion case which resulted in the proceedings being stayed and which subsequently led to a Metropolitan Police investigation into the conduct of HMRC.
• SFO v B – Successfully advised in relation to an SFO investigation into an AIM stock market flotation which resulted in the pre-charge investigation being dropped.
• R v R – Successfully represented client accused of Fraud by False Representation against RBS Insurance. Following a robust defence of the client at interview the investigation by Humberside Police was subsequently dropped.
• SIA v S & Others – Led the defence team in the first criminal prosecution brought by the Security Industry Authority.
• Operation Shootout – Acted for defendant in a £50m MTIC Fraud.
• Landfill Tax Fraud – Acted for defendant in million pound tax fraud concerning landfill waste.
• Operation Dundee – Large-scale MTIC fraud prosecution where the indictment was quashed.
• Operation Venison – Acted in £100 million MTIC fraud which was stayed as an abuse of process.
• Richmond Oil & Gas - Acted for the main defendant in relation to a conspiracy to defraud surrounding the creation of a false market surrounding a £21 million Offer for Sale of shares in Richmond Oil & Gas plc. The prosecution by the Serious Fraud Office.
• The Arrows Plc – Represented the lead defendant in a major Serious Fraud Office Prosecution.
• Butte Mining – Acted for the principal defendant in one of the UK’s longest running fraud actions following a 5 year investigation by the Serious Fraud Office.
'Lesley Burrows is an experienced criminal defence lawyer with the capacity to handle sophisticated bribery, tax fraud and cyber crime cases. Sources are particularly keen to praise her strategic sense and deep expertise'.
Chambers UK – A Client’s Guide to the UK Legal Profession 2016
Legal 500 – The Client’s Guide to the UK Legal Profession, 2015
'Lesley Burrows is "exceptionally good," and noted by sources for her "robust" approach to criminal fraud defence work'.
Chambers UK – A Client’s Guide to the UK Legal Profession 2013
'Lesley Burrows is “a safe pair of hands who is especially good at dealing with the SFO'. 'Clients appreciate [her] proactive approach and dedication to clients'.
Chambers UK - A Client’s Guide to the UK Legal Profession, 2012
'Lesley Burrows has a wealth of experience across a wide range of fraud-related work. She is applauded for her expertise in large-scale SFO investigations, asset forfeiture and missing trader frauds'.
Chambers UK - A Client’s Guide to the UK Legal Profession, 2011
'The well respected Lesley Burrows at Burrows Bussin is involved in significant fraud and conspiracy work'.
Legal 500 – The Client’s Guide to the UK Legal Profession, 2010
'Lesley Burrows’ 20 years of experience in commercial fraud and her immensely dynamic attitude make her an excellent fraud lawyer'.
Chambers UK - A Client’s Guide to the UK Legal Profession, 2010
'Driving force Lesley Burrows is a very well-connected and well-regarded, powerful individual'.
Chambers UK - A Client’s Guide to the UK Legal Profession, 2009
'One of the most experienced serious fraud defence lawyers in the UK'.
Chambers UK - A Client’s Guide to the UK Legal Profession, 2008
Chambers UK - A Client’s Guide to the UK Legal Profession, 2008
'Knows her stuff, especially in pre-trial reviews'.
Chambers UK - A Client’s Guide to the UK Legal Profession, 2007
'A Practitioner who has the canny ability to think out of the box and come up with the goods…If I was in trouble, she would be the one I would go to for help'.
Chambers UK - A Client’s Guide to the UK Legal Profession, 2006
Chambers UK - A Client’s Guide to the UK Legal Profession, 2005
'An aggressive practitioner committed to her clients'.
Chambers UK - A Client’s Guide to the UK Legal Profession, 2003
<img alt="" data-cke-saved-src="/uploads/cartwrightking/images/Chambers-Lawyer15.png" src="/uploads/cartwrightking/images/Chambers-Lawyer15.png" width:60px"="">