Position(s) Director, Head of team, Solicitor
Area(s) of Practice Business Defence, Criminal Defence
Director and Head of Fraud & Tax at Cartwright King. Specialist defence lawyer in a wide variety of Fraud, Regulatory & Proceeds of Crime Act cases.
Over 15 years experience defending nationally in all types of high profile, complex criminal and commercial fraud cases. This includes cases such as duty evasion, money-laundering, MTIC/carousel fraud, boiler room, carbon credits, mortgage fraud, benefits fraud, cyber fraud, investment fraud, alcohol duty, corruption, banking pension fraud, fraudulent trading, HMRC tax disputes & extradition.
Specialist in Proceeds of Crime Act matters including Confiscation, Restraint and Cash Seizures, Detention and Forfeiture.
Experienced in regulatory defence work including health and safety, environmental, trading standards, local authority, VOSA, FCA, OFT, food safety and assisting professionals with disciplinary issues. Compliance advice provided on various issues such a bribery and corruption.
Sundeep can offer you a robust ‘pre-charge’ service. He is able to consider whether it is in your best interests to challenge illegal searches and arrests, contest restraint (freezing) orders, analyse whether authorisation for surveillance is properly granted, prepare detailed letters of representations and assist with the return of seized property. Being proactive from the outset can sometimes lead to the investigations being halted.
Summary of notable cases undertaken
Recent Notable cases:
- Operation Hornet: £245m HBOS Conspiracy to Corrupt defending former manager of HBOS high risk team. Over 300,000 pages of evidence
- R V TP (Operation Truman): Former Director of a local civil engineering company who is being investigated by Devon and Cornwall Police for a £3.5m fraud and bribery allegation. The complainant is utility provider E-ON.
- HMRC v JF: Investigation related to breach of Export Control Order 2008. Promotion and supply of military goods to non EU sanctioned countries.
- NCA v VB: Representing a suspect who is part of a group alleged to have laundered more than £11 million stolen using the Dridex and Dyre streams of malicious software (malware).
- R v R (SFO Investigation): Serious Fraud Office into Bribery and Corruption in Iraq.
- SFO Investigations: currently advising in 5 high profile multi million pound SFO led investigations, most relating to bribery and corruption involving large international companies.
- R v S : £9.2m collective investment scheme fraud investigation involving overseas property.
- Operation Tarlac: Representing a defendant in an alleged £12.5 million diversion fraud involving NHS Trusts, Local Authorities, the States of Guernsey and educational establishments. Trial listed April 2016.
- Operation Harpseal: £2.8m HMRC fraudulent VAT repayment claim , 20 defendants, trial 2017.
- R v S: investigation by MET Cyber Crime Unit allegations of data hacking.
- Operation Dingy: £3m boiler room/wine investment fraud investigation.
- Operation Otterburn: £2m finance fraud investigation.
- Operation Argent: National courier fraud investigation.
- Operation Barcelona: HMRC alcohol diversion fraud investigation.
- R v D: Nottingham Crown Court - £750,000 fraud by false misrepresentation – defendant acquitted.
- R v D: Lincoln Crown Court- £300,000 tax offence of cheat the revenue. Defendant avoided custody, complex confiscation proceedings where liquidator is arguing for a share of the assets.
- Operation Janitor: Birmingham Crown Court - £2m VAT fraud involved 28 defendants. Defendant acquitted
- Operation Gnawed: Nottingham Crown Court - £49m Carousel fraud – stayed after abuse of process
- Operation Ernest: Leicester Crown Court - £110m invoice factoring fraud, acquitted of more serious conspiracy charge
- Operation Ghast: Birmingham Crown Court - £19M MTIC fraud
- Operation Borrow: Manchester Crown Court - £5m credit card reverse transaction fraud – defendant acquitted
- Operation Ribbon: Birmingham Crown Court - £1.2m long firm fraud – defendant acquitted
- R v S: Derby Crown Court - £52m money laundering – Confiscation Order of £40,000
- R v R: Nottingham Crown Court - Successfully defended a Labour councillor in a benefit fraud case
- R v P: Investigation of director of national charity investigated for benefit fraud. Suspect not charge
Other department cases:
- R v H (LIBOR): represent the lead defendant in the SFO’s prosecutions arising from the alleged manipulation of the London Interbank Offered (LIBOR) benchmark interest rate
- Operation Natals ( Silk Road ): a conspiracy to import, export and supply class A drugs on a large scale using the online “dark-net” marketplace “Silk Road” which was shut down by the FBI in 2013.
- Operation Quevo: Defending a Dubai based financial advisor currently under investigation in connection with his suggested role in an alleged high value pension liberation fraud.
- R v S (Operation Humour): Securing the acquittal of a former UKIP MEP charged with Misconduct in Public office and Money Laundering arising from an alleged expenses fraud.
- Operation Dardanelles: Defendant under investigation by HMRC in connection with alleged illegal evasion of £120m in tobacco duty.
- Operation Cactus Hent: This matter was the successful defence of a substantial HMRC prosecution one of nine defendants involved in a self-invested personal pension (SIPP) scheme
- Operation Shootout: An allegation of Missing Trader Carousel Fraud where the loss to the Revenue was estimated at £50 million
- R v P: Liverpool Crown Court – Large drugs conspiracy and money laundering – stayed as abuse of process
- Operation Bjiou: Southwark Crown Court - £60m SFO prosecution advance fee fraud relating to off shore property
- Operation Hogton: Derby Crown Court - £1.2m boiler room fraud, involved extradition from overseas
- Operation Teacosy: Leeds Crown Court - £1.2m construction industry VAT fraud
- Operation Landon: Liverpool Crown Court - 36 defendant cash for crash case – defendant acquitted after trial
- Operaton Barber: Southwark Crown Court - £5m BIS prosecution - long firm fraud
- Operation Vista: Manchester Crown Court - £60m conspiracy to launder proceeds of EU/VAT carbon credit fraud
- R v M: 5-day trial successfully secured an acquittal for client charged with operating a regulated facility, namely a waste operation for the treatment and storage of end-of-life vehicles, contrary to Regulation 12 and 38(1)(a) of the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2010. The case turned on the definition of waste and the application of the discard test
- R v S: Carbon monoxide poisoning fatality
- R v M: Asbestos waste
- R v W: Housing act health and safety breaches
- R v T: Multi defendant case involving height regulation breaches relating to construction of chicken sheds on a poultry farm
- R v Mann: VOSA prosecution relating to operating mini buses without appropriate licences
- R v W & W: Prosecuted by multiple local authority trading standards departments - one of the largest mobility product frauds
Proceeds of Crime Act
- Cash seizures: Various successes in retrieving up to £200,000 over the last 10 years. This includes a recovery of costs from Notts police in excess of £20,000.
- R v P: Abuse of process stay granted in confiscation proceedings, prosecution appealed and formed part of combined appeals of R v Neild.
- R v K: Multi handed regulatory poca case based on breach of enforcement notices.
- R v K: Costs appeal won on proportionality.
Recognised as a 'leading individual' in the Legal 500 UK: 2015 rankings for fraud, Sundeep was also mentioned as being "technically able" with "terrific client care" for white collar crime. Sundeep has also been recognised as having an "established regulatory practice" in the Legal 500 UK: 2015 Health & Safety rankings.
Member of the Fraud Lawyers Association
Member of the Proceeds of Crime Lawyers Association
Committee Member of the Midlands Asian Lawyers Association.
Executive Board Member (Company Secretary) of the Nottingham Indian Community Centre Association.
Director of Nottingham West Lions Club a charitable fundraising group, part of Lions International.
BIS & Commercial, Business Defence, Environment & Planning, Extradition, Fraud, Health & Safety, HMRC, Office of Fair Trading, Proceeds of Crime Act, Professional Discipline and Trading Standards & Agencies