Skip to main content

Closure Orders & Notices

If you have been served with a Closure Notice or Closure Order, it is vital that you take independent legal advice about your options. Cartwright King is a national law firm which specialises in appealing against Closure Orders and representing your interests in court. Section 80 (5) of the Antisocial Behaviour Crime and Policing Act 2014 enables a senior police officer or council official to close premises for up to 48 hours and to seek an order from a Magistrates’ Court that the premises remain closed for a further 3 months. This could have a dramatic impact on you or your business.

Initial telephone consultation

We offer a no obligation initial consultation to see if we can help you. Please email us on or call 0808 168 5550.

At Cartwright King we find that many of our client’s like to discuss their problem before deciding what to do next. We are happy to discuss your issue in an initial, no obligation, diagnostic conversation.

What are Closure Notices and Orders?

Closure Notices and Orders are formal sanctions that allow the police and the council to quickly close premises which are being used, or are likely to be used to commit nuisance or disorder.

A Closure Notice can close premises for up to 48 hours whilst arrangements are made for a formal application to a local Magistrates’ Court for a Closure Order. A Closure Order can keep premises closed for up to 3 months.

Closure Notices and Closure Orders can apply to any land or any other place including residential businesses premises, business premises non-business premises and licensed premises. In fact they cover pretty much all premises.

Why have I received one?

A Closure Notice is made when a senior police officer or council official is of the reasonable opinion that: 

  • The use of the premises has or is likely to result in nuisance to members of the public; or
  • There has been or is likely to be disorder near to or associated with the premises and that the Notice is necessary to prevent nuisance or disorder from continuing, reoccurring or occurring.

A Closure Order is made if a Magistrates’ Court is satisfied that:

  • A person has engaged or is likely to engage in disorderly, offensive or criminal behaviour on the premises; or
  • The use of the premises has resulted in or is likely to result in serious nuisance to members of the public; or
  • There has been or is likely to have been disorder near to or associated with the premises and the Order is necessary to prevent the behaviour, nuisance or disorder from continuing, recurring or occurring.

How we can help and why you need a solicitor

Our expert solicitors and lawyers are very familiar with the powers of the police and local authorities in relation to antisocial behaviour and criminal cases. We have a dedicated team of advocates that can represent your interests in the Magistrates’ and Crown Courts.

Our solicitors can appear on your behalf before the Magistrates’ Court to argue against the making of a Closure Order. 

If a Closure order is made and you wish to appeal, we have a team of specialist Crown Court advocates that can represent you before the Crown Court.

A Closure Order automatically triggers a Review of the Licence before the Licensing Committee and this is a matter we can also deal with. The importance of this is the police can then apply for a revocation of the licence, further suspension of licence, reduce or remove the hours of a particular licensing activity or removal of the Designated Premises Supervisor. This can have catastrophic effects on the business.

Even if you just want to make sure that these powers have been used properly then we can advise and assist you in this. We can also offer you support should you want to represent yourself in court.

Our Fees

We offer a no obligation, initial consultation to asses your situation. We are also completely transparent about our fees. We will sit down with you and set out all the costs involved before we take any action. We also offer fixed fees where appropriate and if the matter is complex then we will give you an estimate of the likely fees.

How to get in contact

For more information or for a no obligation free initial consultation please contact us on or call 0808 168 5550.

Alex Radley is a Director and Head of Regulatory Law at Cartwright King. Andrew and his team can be contacted below.

Alex Radley Head of Regulatory 

Telephone: 07718 637 147 Email:

Andrew and his team can provide advice wherever you are based, but we also have offices in BirminghamBedfordBoltonDerbyLeedsLeicesterLondon TempleManchesterMiddlesbroughNorthamptonNottinghamSheffield and Worcester.


For further information please get in touch with our dedicated team.

You can always call us on 0845 894 1622 or email on


Let us know how we can help. Just provide a brief outline of your query.

Read more
The Legal 500 - The Clients Guide to Law Firms
Enquiry Popup