The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) enforces consumer protection law and competition law, investigating and prosecuting cartels, price-fixing and market sharing. Cartwright King can provide highly experienced business defence solicitors to advise and represent your interests.
In recent years the CMA has targeted the construction industry on issues including collusive tendering, moving to tendering for public works contacts and cover pricing. All of these are areas Cartwright King can advise on and we have been successful in representing many clients in these types of investigations.
Our team are skilled in working to the tight timescales of these investigations and can quickly and effectively deal with the necessary issues. Our expert defence teams can effectively help with:
- CMA powers: dawn raids, notices to force surrender of documents, interviews with directors and staff under caution and when they can be compelled to provide information.
- Fines: under the Competition Act companies can be fined 10% of worldwide turnover for every financial year involved.
- Leniency programme: negotiation of substantial reduction of potential fines caused by whistle blowing.
- Criminal prosecution: of directors and employees for serious cartels and bid-rigging (under the Enterprise Act) resulting in imprisonment and disqualification as a director.
- Analysing large volumes of paper and electronic evidence and interrogating computer records.
- No action letters: immunity from criminal prosecution of individuals for co-operations and whistle blowing.