27th March 2019
Our national team of fraud solicitors have a vast amount of experience in all areas of allegations of fraud. If you or your business are concerned about an allegation of fraud, are under investigation or facing a prosecution for allegations of fraud or financial crime, or if you are a victim of fraud then please contact our solicitors today for legal advice. We are able to assist wherever you are based.
Initial telephone consultation
For a confidential and no obligation initial consultation, please call our Fraud Team to discuss your situation and the options available to you. We are available on 0808 168 5550 or you can email the team on email@example.com.
Allegations of fraud including criminal investigations, can be very stressful and emotional for all those involved. We’re here to take the worry off your hands and explain everything to you. We will fight for you, building the most robust defence strategy possible, to ensure the best outcome for you, your family and, where necessary, your business.
We offer our clients a robust ‘pre-charge’ service. We are able to consider whether it is in your best interests to challenge illegal searches and arrests, contest restraint (freezing) orders, analyse whether authorisation for surveillance is properly granted, prepare detailed letters of representations and assist with the return of seized property. Being proactive from the outset can sometimes lead to the investigations being halted.
What we can help with:
- Advanced Fee Fraud
- Art and Antique Fraud
- Benefit Fraud
- Boiler Room Fraud
- Bribery and Corruption
- Carbon Credits Fraud
- Cash Seizure
- Cheating the Revenue
- CMA (Competitions and Markets Authority) Investigations
- Company and Insolvency Act Offences
- Confiscation Proceedings
- Conspiracy to Defraud
- Construction Industry Fraud
- Counterfeit Fraud
- Credit Card Fraud
- Cyber Crime, Internet and Computer Fraud
- Directors Disqualification
- DPA’s - Deferred Prosecution Agreements
- Duty Evasion including Alcohol Duty Evasion and Cigarette Duty Evasion
- Education Fraud
- Employment Fraud
- Extradition / Cross Border cases
- False Accounting
- FCA (Financial Conduct Authority Investigations/Prosecutions)
- FCA Enforcement Notices
- FCA Warning Notices
- Fraudulent Trading
- Gold and Precious Metal Fraud
- HMRC Investigations/Prosecutions including Direct and Indirect Tax Avoidance and Evasion
- Identity Fraud
- Illegal Alcohol
- Illegal diesel and Fuel Raids
- Illegal Tobacco, Cigarettes and Cross Border Tobacco Raids including Seizures
- Insider Trading
- Insurance Fraud
- Investment Fraud
- Land Banking Fraud
- Market Manipulation
- Mobility Fraud
- Money Laundering
- Mortgage Fraud
- MTIC/Carousel Fraud
- NHS Fraud
- Pension Scheme Tax Fraud
- Ponzi Scheme Fraud
- Private Prosecutions
- Proceeds of Crime Act Cases
- Procurement Fraud
- Restraint Orders
- Search Warrants
- Serious Financial Crime Reporting Orders
- Serious Fraud
- Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005 (SOCPA) - Section 62 Notices for Disclosure
- Smuggling offences
- Tax Fraud
- Theft from Employer
- Unauthorised Collective Investment Schemes
- VAT Fraud
- Victims of Fraud
We are one of the largest fraud defence law firms in the country. Our large specialist team includes barristers and solicitors who have experience in all types of fraud matters.
Our team have the knowledge, expertise and experience to explain the situation to you, build your defence and where necessary instruct external industry experts, forensic accountants and counsel. This will enable us to reach the best possible outcome for you.
Our expertise means that many investigations are resolved quickly and efficiently without the need for lengthy criminal prosecutions. We are well versed in protecting your reputation and dealing with any press attention.
Our team are also highly ranked in both respected legal directories, the Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners guide.
John Speight and latterly Sundeep Soor successfully defended a Director charged with various Tax offences in August 2017.
It was alleged that two years financial accounts failed to provide an accurate picture, such that there was a tax loss in terms of VAT and Corporation Tax in the sum of £130,000.00. The Prosecution also alleged the use of forged documents. In October 2019, two years after being charged the prosecution finally agreed to offer no evidence before the trial started and not guilty verdicts were entered.
This case shows the crucial role of instructing the right expert on a case:-
- Forensic accounting expertise was required to show that the prosecution forensic expert had not undertaken the detailed analysis needed to prove the prosecutions case and eventually both experts agreed that our client’s tax returns were not “materially misstated“.
- The defence also deployed computer experts to show what was downloaded of the alleged forged document was complete and unadulterated.
- Further forensic examination of documents has established that it is possible to pinpoint the model of laser printer used to print the documents and also that the indented impressions on a document that was sent with the alleged forged document was not the writing of our client.
Sundeep Soor, Director and Head of our Tax & Fraud department says:-
“This is a case that demonstrates CK’s tenacious attitude and refusal to accept the Prosecution version of events when all the odds are stacked against the client. Cartwright King's ethos to challenge where appropriate and use skill and knowledge gained in practice to pick out the inconsistencies which might show that the Prosecution is brought on a false premise”.
Why clients choose Cartwright King
It’s not just our expertise and reputation in defending our clients in all types of fraud matters, it’s our approach to our clients. We care about our clients, making sure we are there for you every step of the way.
Our experience in dealing and negotiating with the police both in the UK and overseas, Competition and Markets Authority (CMA), BIS, FCA, the National Crime Agency (NCA), Professional and Regulatory bodies, HMRC, Crown Prosecution Service and the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) puts us in one of the strongest positions to represent our clients.
Understanding what’s happening
We will explain everything to you so that you are fully aware of what’s happening. We will advise you as to the possible outcomes and suggest the best possible course of action at each stage of your matter.
We act on behalf of individuals and companies facing all matter of fraud allegations, investigations and prosecutions. We also act for insurers, banking groups, investment companies, and regulated professionals including mortgage brokers, surveyors, accountants, solicitors, estate agents, medical professionals and financial advisors.
We are regularly called upon to act in multi million pound frauds including acting on both high profile and international cases.
Where available, we can apply for legal aid (public funding) on your behalf. In some matters you may want to pay privately for representation. In such cases we will give you informed advice as to the likely fees involved.
How to make contact
Sundeep Soor (Director) is the Head of Fraud and Tax at Cartwright King. Sundeep and his team are on hand across the country to help you and can assist wherever you are based.
Please call us for a no obligation, initial discussion on 0808 168 5550 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will call or email you back.
You can always call us on 0845 894 1622 or email the Fraud Team on email@example.com.
04th February 2019
- Business Defence
- Regulatory Solicitors
- Tax Fraud
- Proceeds of Crime Act
- BEIS & Commercial
- Competition and Markets Authority
- Health & Safety
- Environment & Planning
- Environmental Investigation & Prosecution
- Trading Standards
- Closure Order Notices
- Bribery & Corruption
- Private Prosecution Solicitors
- SIA Licence Appeals
- Firearm Licence Appeals
- Legal Reputation
- Our cases
- Meet the Business Defence team
- Free Guides
- Account Freezing Orders
Let us know how we can help. Just provide a brief outline of your query.