Skip to main content

Child Custody

We specialise in dealing with issues relating to child custody following relationship separation and divorce.

Contact us for a fixed fee initial telephone consultation for expert legal advice in relation to child custody.

This area of law is now known as ‘arrangements for children’ and we can seek a Child Arrangement Order for you.

We understand that after a relationship breakdown, it’s not always the case that both parents can agree on residence and contact issues. Children are the highest priority during this time and the law is built around their best interests. This includes where the children may live and how often they will have contact with the parent that they don’t live with.

Our family lawyers can help in the following:

Under the new law (as from April 2014) the above are known as Child Arrangement Orders. 

Other issues that can be resolved are where the children will go to school.

The law prefers to see voluntary agreements rather than court imposed settlements, therefore the courts will generally only become involved where both parents cannot reach a suitable arrangement.

In disputes about where a child will live (also often referred to as child residence cases and ‘custody’), it is important that children have a stable safe environment to live in. Children will usually live with one parent and then contact will be arranged at either regular or specific pre-arranged times. Our solicitors are able to negotiate these types of arrangements. Children’s views, parent’s availability and the historic nature of the child’s care are taken into account when creating the arrangement which can be formalised in a Child Arrangements Order of the court.

Shared residence for the child can work only when children are able to move regularly between both parents’ homes, without it becoming too disruptive and unsettling for them.

In child contact issues, regular contact with both parents is accepted as in children’s best interest. A regular routine which suits both parties and the child is the ideal arrangement. Again this can be formalised in a Child Arrangements Order.

Our lawyers will help you come to a voluntary agreement, however if you are not able to reach an agreement then the court can impose a Child Arrangements Order (previously called a Contact Order). This will detail the exact contact the non-resident parent can have. This will include days spent with the non-resident parents at the weekend or in the week.

The Family Court is where a Family Judge can make a number of Orders to resolve the issues when both parents cannot agree to a compromise.

The Order that can be made is a Child Arrangement Order which now covers the previous orders a court could make which were:

  • Parental responsibility orders
  • Supervised, Staying, Visiting or Defined contact orders
  • Specific Issue orders

COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Amidst the Coronavirus outbreak, our team of solicitors are adopting Skype video calling to continue providing excellent legal services to you.

For more information on your rights surrounding Coronavirus, visit our dedicated page.

Why choose Cartwright King?

legal-500-top-tier-firm-2020   chambers-uk-2020   child-care-accredited-firm   reviewsolicitors-trusted-firm

Our fees?

Legal Aid is available in this area which means that you may be eligible for free advice. To discuss your eligibility for Legal Aid please call us, or email your enquiry using the form below.

If you are not eligible for Legal Aid then we can discuss affordable private paying fee arrangements.

Our locations?

We have offices in BedfordBirminghamDerby, Leeds, Leicester, LondonManchesterMiddlesbrough, Northampton, Nottingham and Sheffield.

Cartwright King also promotes remote working, so we can provide you with the same excellent service outside of our office locations.

Email you enquiry:

Email your Enquiry

Please complete the form below providing a brief outline of your query, and a member of our friendly team will be in touch with you shortly.

Please note that this is only a PROVISIONAL appointment time, a member of our team will either confirm the request, or provide the closest alternative option available.


What clients say about us


Please provide a brief outline of your query below, and one of our specialist team members will be in touch with you shortly.


Head of Team

Family Law

The Legal 500 - The Clients Guide to Law Firms
Email Cartwright King Solicitors
Call Cartwright King Solicitors