Skip to main content

Your Child's Name

Can I change my child’s name?

After the breakdown of a relationship the question may arise as to whether you are able to change your child’s name. You cannot change the child’s name unless you have the consent of all people who have parental responsibility for your child.

If a mother was not married to the father at the time of the birth of the child, then the mother alone may have parental responsibility and she can then change the child’s surname.

Please contact our specialist family law team, to discuss this issue, or any other issue of family law or relationship breakdown.

Email you enquiry:

Email your Enquiry

Please complete the form below providing a brief outline of your query, and a member of our friendly team will be in touch with you shortly.

Please note that this is only a PROVISIONAL appointment time, a member of our team will either confirm the request, or provide the closest alternative option available.


What clients say about us


Please provide a brief outline of your query below, and one of our specialist team members will be in touch with you shortly.


Head of Team

Family Law

The Legal 500 - The Clients Guide to Law Firms
Email Cartwright King Solicitors
Call Cartwright King Solicitors