Skip to main content

Fiancé(e) Visas UK

If you are settled in the United Kingdom or a British Citizen and your fiancé(e) is living overseas, your partner can apply for a fiancé(e) visa which will allow  them to come to the United Kingdom for six months in order to get married. While this is a possibility, it is essential that all of the requirements as set out by the Home Office are met, so it is therefore wise to get in touch with a solicitor to explain these to you. At Cartwright King we are here to advise you throughout the entire legal process. We are available for legal support anywhere within the country and will always make your case a priority.

Free Initial Telephone Consultation

Our Immigration team are here to take the worry off your hands. We can provide an initial telephone consultation to see how we can assist in your case and can provide a no obligation fixed fee quote. Please call us on 0808 168 5550 or email

Fiancé Visas and the Law

If you are settled in the UK or a British Citizen, you can submit an Entry Clearance application to the British Embassy to apply for your fiancé(e) to come to the UK for a maximum of 6 months for your marriage to take place. In order for the application to be successful, you must meet the strict requirements outlined in Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules by submitting evidence which demonstrate the following:

  • You are both over the age of 18
  • Your relationship is legitimate and you intend to marry within the 6 months once the fiancé visa been granted
  • You as the UK Sponsor meet the financial threshold
  • You intend to live together once your fiancé is in the UK or once married
  • You  as the UK Sponsor are able to support yourself and your fiancé(e) without relying on public funds unless you are in receipt of one of the exempt benefits as set out in Appendix FM
  • There is adequate accommodation for yourself and your fiancé(e)
  • You are both be free to marry and any previous marriages and /or registered civil partnerships have  broken down permanently
  • Your fiancé(e) must have passed the relevant English language requirement
  • Your fiancé(e) meets the suitability requirements

What happens after the visa runs out?

If the Fiancé(e) Visa is granted to your partner, once the marriage has taken place you / your Fiance(e) will be eligible to apply to switch from within the UK to a 30 month Spouse Visa. Please note that at this stage, all of the above requirements will need to be met. Once on the Spouse visa, your spouse will have the right to work.

When your spouse has completed the 30 months, they will then need to apply for an extension of the spouse visa and meet all of the same requirements  as above. If the visa is granted they will then be given a further 30 month visa. Only upon successful completion of 60 months in the UK they will be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK subject to meeting the necessary requirements.

What do you do if you are unsuccessful?

If your fiance(e)’s application for a Fiance Visa is unsuccessful, you have the right to appeal against the decision of the Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) which must be lodged with the Court within 28 days of the date of the refusal letter.

How we can help

If you are looking to obtain a Fiancée Visa, our Immigration Solicitors are available to assist and will support you throughout the entire process. We offer fixed fees and have a vast amount of experience in sucessfully obtaining fiance visas for clients.

Why Choose Us?

At Cartwright King, our solicitors understand the stress and worry that trying to obtain a Fiancé Visa can cause. We are available to support you throughout the entire process, explain the likely outcomes and any fees involved.

How to make contact

If you require any legal advice or if you would like a no obligation, free initial telephone discussion, then please call us on 0808 168 5550. Alternatively you can email the Immigration team on and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

We have a network of offices in BirminghamBedfordDerbyLeedsLeicesterLondon TempleManchesterMiddlesbroughNorthamptonNottingham and Sheffield.  In the event of one of the above offices not offering an immigration service, we normally require at least one appointment, and can then work remotely, or travel to your nearest office at an additional charge. 


Email you enquiry:

Email your Enquiry

Please complete the form below providing a brief outline of your query, and a member of our friendly team will be in touch with you shortly.

What clients say about us


Please provide a brief outline of your query below, and one of our specialist team members will be in touch with you shortly.

The Legal 500 - The Clients Guide to Law Firms
Email Cartwright King Solicitors
Call Cartwright King Solicitors