Skip to main content

Permitted Paid Engagement Visa

If you are invited to come to the UK because of your particular skills or expertise, the Permitted Paid Engagements (PPE) is the route for you. Under this route, you can come to the UK for up to one month to undertake pre-arranged engagements for which you must be paid.

At Cartwright King we are here to advise you throughout the entire legal process relating to Permitted Paid Engagement visas and can assist you wherever you are based. 

Free initial telephone consultation

Our highly skilled Immigration team are here to take the worry off your hands. We can provide an initial telephone consultation to see how we can assist in your case. Please call us on 0808 168 5550 or email

What are the requirements for a Permitted Paid Engagement visa?

You must prove that you are:

  • 18 or over
  • Visiting the UK for no more than 1 month
  • Invited by a UK-based organisation or client
  • Wanting  to come to the UK to do specific paid work which is in your field of expertise
  • Will leave the UK at the end of your visit
  • Have enough money without help from public funds to support and house yourself
  • Can pay for your return or onward journey
  • Are not in transit to a country outside the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands

If you are successful, you will receive a visa of 30 days. You must leave the UK before the expiry of your visa or else you will become an overstayer in the country.

What you can do and cannot do on a Permitted Paid Engagement Visa?

You can be invited by a UK-based organisation or client to:

  • Be a student examiner or assessor
  • Take part in selection panels as a highly qualified academic if you are invited by an education, arts or research organisation
  • Give lectures at a higher education institution, as long as it’s not a part-time or full-time role
  • Examine UK-based pilots so they meet the standards of the country you come from if you are invited by an approved UK training organisation regulated by the UK Civil Aviation Authority
  • Provide advocacy in a particular area of law
  • Take part in arts, entertainment or sporting activities including broadcasting
  • Take part in fashion modelling assignments

You cannot:

  • Do specific paid work unrelated to your main job or area of expertise at home or sell merchandise, other than what is allowed by your visa
  • Extend this visa or switch to another visa
  • Live in the UK for extended periods
  • Get any public funds
  • Study for more than 30 days - studying can’t be the main reason for your visit – if the Home Office doubt that the studying is the main reason for your visit, your application will be refused
  • Marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership
  • Bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on your application - they must apply separately and in their own right

Why choose us and how we can help

Immigration rules are constantly changing and given the technicalities surrounding Permitted Paid Engagement visas, we will ensure that care and attention is given to your case. A Permitted Paid Engagement visa application can have emotional and financial strain on you and could potentially disrupt your future plans.

The activities that you can do and cannot do remain a minefield subject within the immigration rules. If you carry out a prohibited or non-permissible activity, this could lead to your visa being cancelled and you could be removed from the UK.

We are available to support you throughout the entire process professionally, explain the likely outcomes and fight on your behalf. We have a vast amount of experience in successfully obtaining visas for our clients and we offer fixed fees at competitive rates.

We can assist you by:

  • Taking your full instructions in relation to find out everything about you and your case from the very outset
  • Advise you on what you can do and you cannot do whilst visiting the UK
  • Advise you about the strength and weaknesses of your Permitted Paid Engagement visa application
  • Advise you about the required documentary evidence in support of your Permitted Paid Engagement visa application
  • Carefully consider contents of the documentary evidence to be submitted to the Home Office and advise you accordingly
  • Carefully complete the necessary Permitted Paid Engagement visa application on your behalf
  • Making relevant representation to the Home Office explaining your circumstances and persuading them as to why your Permitted Paid Engagement visa should be granted
  • Arrange an appointment for you to submit your Permitted Paid Engagement visa application at your choice of visa application centre
  • Protect your legal interests while your Permitted Paid Engagement visa application is pending with the Home Office and keep you informed of any progress
  • Carry out any following up work that is required to ensure that a decision is reached on your Permitted Paid Engagement visa application
  • Advise you on the implications of the Home Office decision on your Permitted Paid Engagement visa application

How to contact us

Please call us on 0808 168 5550 for your free initial consultation. Alternatively, email our Immigration team on and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Our Immigration Solicitors can provide advice across the country and are happy to meet at a time and location that suits you. We also have a network of offices in BirminghamBedfordDerbyLeedsLeicesterLondon TempleManchesterMiddlesbroughNorthamptonNottingham and Sheffield.

Email you enquiry:

Email your Enquiry

Please complete the form below providing a brief outline of your query, and a member of our friendly team will be in touch with you shortly.

What clients say about us


Please provide a brief outline of your query below, and one of our specialist team members will be in touch with you shortly.

The Legal 500 - The Clients Guide to Law Firms
Email Cartwright King Solicitors
Call Cartwright King Solicitors