Skip to main content

Spouse & Partners

If your Spouse, Civil Partner or Partner is a British Citizen or settled in the UK, you can apply to join them by applying for a Spouse/Civil Partner/Unmarried Partner Visa which if granted will allow you initial residence in the UK for 30 months. In order for your visa application to be granted you must meet the strict requirements set out in the Immigration Rules. At Cartwright King we can assist you through the whole process. 

Free Initial Telephone Consultation

Our highly skilled Immigration team are here to assist you in removing the stress of understanding the rules and ensuring an accurate application is made and providing all of the correct and specified supporting documents. We can provide a free initial telephone consultation to assess your circumstances, advise you of your options and provide a fixed fee quote. Please call us on 0808 168 5550 or email

What are the requirements for a Spouse visa/Civil Partner/Unmarried Partner visa?

There are two routes to settlement; a 5 year and a 10 year route. In order to succeed on the shorter 5 year route, you will have to satisfy all the requirements such as the suitability requirements, relationship requirements, immigration status requirements, financial requirements and English Language requirements.

If the requirements are met, and you are placed on the 5 year route to settlement, then you should be given an initial visa for a period of 30 months. 

If you cannot meet all of the requirements, but satisfy the suitability requirements and fall into one of the categories in the exceptions, then you may be granted a visa as part of the 10 year route to settlement.

To summarise, you will have to prove:

  • that you meet the suitability requirements
  • that you are both over 18
  • that you are not closely related to your partner
  • that you have met your partner
  • that you are in a genuine and subsisting marriage, civil partnership or relationship
  • that you were free to marry
  • that you intend to live together permanently
  • that your partner, the UK Sponsor has a gross income of £18,600 p/a plus an additional £3,800 for one child applying and an additional £2,400 for each further child applying. Alternatively, by having the requisite amount of savings. This requirement is not applied if the sponsor is on certain types of disability benefit or carer allowance.
  • Proof of English Language at level A1 of the CEFR for Languages.

How we can help

If you are looking to apply for a Visa to join your Spouse, Civil Partner or Partner in the UK, extend such a visa or eventually apply for indefinite leave after completion of the 5 year or 10 year route, our Immigration Solicitors are available to help you throughout the entire legal process.

Our team will be able to give you a fixed fee quote which will include consultations, taking detailed instructions, drafting statements, providing a tailored made list of documents specific to your case to support the application, assessing each document to ensure maximum chance of success, making the application in country or on line, booking an appointment at the embassy where necessary and do full preparation of the application pack with detailed legal representations. 

You will also be advised of the current ECO/UKVI fee and NHS health charge where applicable.

Why Choose Us?

At Cartwright King, our solicitors understand the stress and worry that trying to attain these Visas can cause and the potential long term consequences that can affect you and your family if your application fails. We are available to support you throughout the entire process, explain the likely outcomes and fight on your behalf.

We have a vast amount of experience in successfully obtaining visas for our clients. We offer fixed fees at competitive rates. Call us today for a no obligation quote.

How to make contact

If you require any legal advice or if you would like a no obligation, free initial telephone discussion, then please call us on 0808 168 5550. Alternatively you can email the Immigration team on and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

We have a network of offices in BirminghamBedfordBoltonDerbyLeedsLeicesterLondon TempleManchesterMiddlesbroughNorthamptonNottinghamSheffield and Worcester. In the event of one of the above offices not offering an immigration service, we normally require at least one appointment, and can then work remotely, or travel to your nearest office at an additional charge. 


For further information please get in touch with our dedicated team.

You can always call us on 0845 894 1622 or email on


Let us know how we can help. Just provide a brief outline of your query.

Read more
The Legal 500 - The Clients Guide to Law Firms
Enquiry Popup