Skip to main content

Spouse Visa Renewal

If you have previously been granted a Spouse Visa, you can apply to renew or extend your visa to allow more time to settle in the UK with your partner. While this is achievable, you must meet certain regulations set out by the Home office in order for your application to be successful and be granted an extension of a further 30 months. At Cartwright King we are here to advise you throughout the entire legal process and can assist wherever you are based.

Free Initial Telephone Consultation

Our highly skilled Immigration team are here to take the worry off your hands. We can provide an initial telephone consultation to see how we can assist in your case. Please call us on 0808 168 5550 or email

What are the requirements?

Once you make an application for an extension, it will be considered under Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules where you will need to adhere to certain requirements in order for your application to be successful. The requirements that you will need to meet are:

  • Living in adequate accommodation
  • Providing evidence of your relationship with your partner
  • Are free to marry
  • Intend to live together permanently
  • Are not closely related
  • Are in a genuine and subsisting marriage or civil partnership or lived together for 2 years
  • Live in adequate accommodation in terms of the Housing Act of 1985

In terms of finances, you will be expected to have a minimum income of £18,600 plus an additional £3,800 for one child applying and an additional £2,400 for each further child applying. Alternatively you must have enough savings calculated at a formula of £16.000 plus (the shortfall in salary x 2.5). You are exempt from meeting this requirement but must meet the adequate maintenance test instead if you are on certain types of disability benefit or carer allowance.

Your overall suitability will also be analysed, as the following will be looked at:

  • Whether you have a criminal record
  • Whether you have used the NHS if you have had no legal right to use it
  • If you have any out standing legal court cost orders

Additionally, it is also essential that you can speak the English language to a sufficient standard, which can be demonstrated by either:

  • Proving you are a national of a country where English is the first language
  • Proving that you have attained a degree that was taught in English, which must be equivalent to UK bachelor’s or above
  • Proving that you have passed a Home Office approved English language test

You can be exempt from this requirement if:

  • You have a physical or mental impairment
  • You are aged 65 years or older when you undergo the application
  • You are faced with exceptional compassionate circumstances

If you are unsure about any of these requirements, our highly skilled immigration team will be more than happy to help by answering any of your queries.

What happens if your application is unsuccessful?

If your application for a UK Spouse Visa extension is refused and you are currently in the UK, you are within your rights to appeal the decision to the First Tier Tribunal within 28 working days of the date when you receive your refusal letter. At Cartwright King, we are able to submit an appeal on your behalf.

Who are the Home Office?

The Home Office is a ministerial department enforced by Her Majesty’s Government of the United Kingdom and are responsible for immigration, security and law and order. While one of its priorities is immigration, other areas that the Home Office covers include the police, British Visas and the Security Service. Additionally, it is also responsible for government policy on security related issues including drugs, counter-terrorism and ID cards.

How we can help

If you are looking to obtain a Spouse Visa renewal/extension, our Immigration Solicitors are available to help your wish become a reality by supporting you throughout the entire legal process.

Given the sensitive and complex issues surrounding immigration law, we will ensure to deal with your case by finding all of the facts and circumstances. During the entirety of the proceedings, we promise to demonstrate professionalism at all times and maintain our high standards to help you receive your visa.

Why Choose Us?

At Cartwright King, our solicitors understand the stress and worry that trying to extend your Spouse Visa can cause and the potential long term consequences that can affect you and your family if your application fails. We are available to support you throughout the entire process, explain the likely outcomes and fight on your behalf.

We have a vast amount of experience in successfully obtaining visas for our clients. We offer fixed fees at competitive rates. Call us today for a no obligation quote.

How to make contact

If you require any legal advice or if you would like a no obligation, free initial telephone discussion, then please call us on 0808 168 5550. Alternatively you can email the Immigration team on and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible. Our Immigration Solicitors can provide advice across the country and are happy to meet at a time and location that suits you. We also have a network of offices in BirminghamBedfordBoltonDerbyLeedsLeicesterLondon TempleManchesterMiddlesbroughNorthamptonNottinghamSheffield and Worcester.

Email you enquiry:

Email your Enquiry

Please complete the form below providing a brief outline of your query, and a member of our friendly team will be in touch with you shortly.

What clients say about us


Please provide a brief outline of your query below, and one of our specialist team members will be in touch with you shortly.

The Legal 500 - The Clients Guide to Law Firms
Email Cartwright King Solicitors
Call Cartwright King Solicitors