Child Contact Order UK – Legal Support For Parents

Child Contact Order
Legally reviewed by: Jonathan Pollard In: Child Care

Obtaining A Child Contact Order UK

A child contact order can help you to establish important boundaries and guidelines when it comes to raising your child as separated parents. Sometimes, the best thing for your child may even be to put protective measures in place. No matter the delicate nature of your situation, we can help you to reach the best possible agreement for your child or children. 

Get in touch today for expert help and advice on child contact orders.

What is a child contact order?

A child contact order is a legally binding order that will set out in a legal agreement exactly how much contact both your and your ex will have with your children. It means that the person who the child lives with is able to allow regular contact with someone else. The court can consider whether the child should have regular contact with the parent they don’t live with so that their relationship can continue. 

A child contact order cannot be made in relation to a child or children who are over the age of 18 years old. Any child contact order that is put in place will exist until the child is 16 years old. 

There are also two different kinds of recognised contact. These are: 

  • Indirect Contact 

This contact consists of letters, emails and telephone calls. This sort of contact may be applicable if a parent is in prison, lives far away or has not had a previous relationship with the child and this needs to be established before they can have direct contact. 

  • Direct Contact 

This involves the child and parent meeting face to face. In certain cases, the Court may advise that these meetings must be supervised by Social Services. 

Failing to comply with a child Contact Order can result in imprisonment or a fine. 

Other Considerations 

When finding a new way to navigate a separate life, there are other order that may need to be taken into consideration. For instance, these could be: 

  • Residence orders 

These are legally binding orders between you and your ex that will help you to finalise the agreements on where your children will live. 

  • Prohibited steps orders

These are legally binding orders that will prevent either of you from taking particular action with your children, such as taking them out of the country. 

  • Specific issue orders  

Specific issue orders will help you to resolve a specific dispute, such as which school your children should attend. 

  • Parental Responsibility agreements

These agreements protect your legal rights to be involved in important decisions about your children’s health, education and welfare. 

  • Agreements on change of name 

Agreements you can set out with your ex when either of you want to change your child’s name. 

  • Agreements on international or national relocation 

Agreements helping you settle disputes about moving children abroad or to another area of the country with the other parent. 

Proving that your Ex is an Unfit Parent

Sadly, sometimes it is the case that it would be unsafe for your child to continue to see one of their parents. If you need help in constructing a case to prove that your ex is an unfit parent, we can help you. We are also able to provide legal assistance in cases of domestic abuse, to ensure that you and your child have the legal rights to be safe and protected from any further harm. 

Get In Touch 

We understand that navigating living situations after a separation can be a very difficult process. Our expert solicitors have plenty of experience in cases of this nature, and can help you to reach the best possible legal agreement for your family. 

Contact us to take the first steps. 

Legal Disclaimer.

All advice is correct at time of publication.