Bringing your Child to the UK – Immigration Advice

Bringing your child to the UK
Legally reviewed by: Nisha Leel In: Immigration

Can I Bring My Child to the UK?

If you have recently been granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK, then bringing your child to the UK will likely be part of your plans.

To make sure that the process can be as straightforward as possible, it is best to use an experienced immigration solicitor. Our experts will be able to help you both with your own visa application, and also assist you with bringing any dependents to the UK.

Contact us today for a chat about the necessary arrangements for bringing your child to the UK.

Bringing Your Child to the UK – Applying for a UK Child Visa

If your child is under 18 and will be joining you in the UK for more than six months, then applying for a child visa is the best route. Your child must be a non-EEA or Swiss national, and at least one of their parents must be permanently settled in the UK when the child visa is being applied for.

This means that the parent can be:

  • A British citizen
  • Hold indefinite leave to remain in the UK
  • Have asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK

If you are unsure as to whether you as a parent or guardian fulfil the correct criteria, then a chat with our expert solicitors can help you to understand.

Read more about our expert immigration solicitors

General Requirements for a Child Visa

When your child is placed into the process of applying for a child visa, there are some requirements that will have to be fulfilled.

For a child visa application to be successful, you must be able to prove that:

  • The relationship between the parent and child is genuine – this can be proved with the evidence of contact such as texts, emails, phone logs and the birth certificate.
  • The child has suitable accommodation arrangements for when they arrive in the UK. This can be proved by providing a tenancy agreement or a mortgage statement with a letter from the parent/guardian confirming that the child will be living with them.
  • The child intends to live with the parent/guardian full time.
  • The child has a good knowledge of English – they may have to take a certified English Language Test.

English Language Test

In order to prove that you have met the required standard of English, you must take part in one of the approved Secure English Language Testing (SELT) arrangements. These are the only tests that are approved by the Home Office, and they are valid for 2 years after the date of when the test is awarded. There are two different lists that are applicable for whether you take the test inside the UK, or outside the country.

How Long will my Child be Able to Stay?

If bringing your child to the UK is successful, and the application is accepted, then they will be able to live in the UK with you for up to two-and-a-half years on this initial visa. After this point, they will need to apply for another two-and-a-half years’ extension on the UK child visa before they can settle permanently without having to apply for any more extensions.

How We Can Help You in Bringing Your Child to the UK

If you are concerned that it will be difficult to bring your child to the UK with you, a chat with one of our expert immigration solicitors will put your mind at rest. We are able to help you construct the perfect visa application and get on with your new life in the UK.

Legal Disclaimer.

All advice is correct at time of publication.