British Citizenship by Marriage

British Citizenship by Marriage
Legally reviewed by: Nisha Leel In: Immigration

Can I Apply for British Citizenship by Marriage?

When you and your partner have lived in Britain together for a long period of time, it is understandable that you would want to apply for British Citizenship by Marriage. Our Birmingham-based immigration solicitors have lots of experience with such immigration matters, and can help you to get the best possible outcome. 

Get in touch today to receive expert help with your British Citizenship application.

What Exactly is British citizenship by Marriage?

British citizenship is also known as British naturalisation. Whether or not you can apply for British citizenship depends on a number of different factors. One way that you can apply for it is if you are married to or are in a civil partnership with a British citizen. Under these particular rules, you must have lived in the UK for the last 3 years as a partner of a British citizen. You must also have one of the following: 

  • A permanent residence document 
  • Settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme 
  • Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) 

What is a Spouse Visa? 

In order to apply for indefinite leave to remain as the partner of a British citizen, you will first need to have joined them in the country on a UK spouse visa. Once you have been granted indefinite leave to remain, you must then live in the UK for a further 12 months under this status.

 A spouse visa is a particular type of visa that will allow you to join your partner in the UK if they are a British citizen or if they are already settled in the UK. If you are from a country outside of the European Economic Area and you are in a genuine relationship or civil partnership, then you may be able to take advantage of this visa. 

What are the Requirements for a Spouse Visa? 

There are a number of different requirements that you must be able to prove in order to be granted with a spouse visa. These requirements are: 

  • Being able to pass a test that will confirm the genuine nature of the relationship between you and your partner. 
  • Being able to provide evidence that you will be living together in acceptable accommodation. 
  • Reaching the minimum income requirement 
  • Being able to prove that you can speak, read and write to an acceptable level of English. 

Spouse visas to live with your partner in the UK can be particularly hard to be granted, because they are very popular. A high number of these applications are refused and then many couples have to go to appeal in order to be able to stay together. Because of the difficulty, it is best to seek the help of trained immigration solicitors. 

Your initial spouse visa allows you to stay in the UK for up to 33 months. After you have lived in the UK for this initial period, this is when you would apply for a 30-month spouse visa extension.

Read more about our immigration specialists

How do I Apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain?

After you have lived in the UK on a Spouse Visa, the next step before British Citizenship by marriage is applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain. 

You must be able to fulfil some basic requirements that include: 

  • Being able to prove that you have no unspent convictions 
  • Being able to prove that you can still meet required English language standard
  • Being able to prove that you can pass the life in the UK test 
  • Being able to meet the ‘good character’ requirement

The documents that you will need include: 

  • An English language test certificate 
  • A ‘Life in the UK’ pass certificate 
  • Proof of your identity, such as your current passport or travel documents 
  • Proof of your continuous residence, such as council tax statements, utility bills, mortgage statements or tenancy agreements 
  • Recent bank statements
  • Recent payslips 

Additionally, you must be able to prove that you have not spent 180 days or more outside of the UK in the 12 months prior to submitting your application. 

Get In Touch for Help with Your Application

Applying for British Citizenship by Marriage can seem like a complicated process with many different stages. However, our specialist immigration solicitors can help to make things as straightforward as possible for you. 

Get in touch today for professional guidance and assistance.

Legal Disclaimer.

All advice is correct at time of publication.