Can Lithuanians claim benefits in the UK?

Snapshot of money
Legally reviewed by: Nisha Leel In: Immigration

Rules introduced earlier this year state that EEA nationals are not entitled to claim Job Seekers Allowance until they have been in the country for three months and can satisfy the habitual residence test. To satisfy this test, EEA nationals must show:

  • That they have a legal right to reside in the UK, AND
  • That they intend to settle in the Common Travel Area (UK, Isle of Man, Channel Islands or Ireland) and make it their home.

Furthermore, as of April this year, the government introduced a policy that EEA migrants cannot claim Housing Benefit if they are in receipt of Income Based Job Seekers Allowance.

For more detailed information about benefits, you should contact your local job centre or Citizens Advice Bureau.

Alternatively, if you would like information about EEA applications then please contact a member of our immigration department here.

Legal Disclaimer.

All advice is correct at time of publication.