Tier 2 to ILR – Are you Ready to Apply?

Change from Tier 2 to ILR
Legally reviewed by: Sherena Lawrence In: Immigration

How to Change from Tier 2 to ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain)

If you have been living and working in the UK for an extended period of time, you may be thinking about changing your visa from a Tier 2 to ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain). With the uncertainty of Brexit, becoming a permanent resident of the UK will likely put your mind at ease if you’re planning on staying.

We can help do just that, with our experienced immigration solicitors ready to assist and guide you through the application process.

Get in touch today for a helpful chat about changing from Tier 2 to ILR. 

What are the Requirements to Change from Tier 2 to ILR?

If you are currently in possession of a tier 2 work visa, then you will already have fulfilled all of the requirements to be working here in the UK. After you have been here for five years, you will be offered the chance to stay indefinitely if you also fulfil these requirements:

  • You have retained your employment with your original registered Tier 2 Sponsor
  • You have no unspent convictions
  • You have been continually living and working in the UK
  • You are earning at least £35,500
  • You will need to prove that you can still meet the required English language standard.

If you were granted your Tier 2 Visa on or after the 6th April 2011, you are limited to a maximum stay in the UK of six years, inclusive of any visa extensions. After this period, you will need to either change from tier 2 to ILR or leave the UK.

Read more about your original tier 2 visa

What does the Change from Tier 2 to ILR Allow Me to Do?

Once you have indefinite leave to remain, you will be able to remain in the UK indefinitely without the previous restrictions of your Tier 2 visa. You will no longer:

  • Have to have an employer with a Sponsorship Licence
  • Have to work in a position that is on the UK skills shortage list

What Documents will I Need to Change from Tier 2 to ILR?

The documentation that you submit in order to qualify to change from tier 2 to ILR will need to prove how long you have been in the UK, and the life that you have been leading. The documents can include:

  • An English language test certificate
  • A ‘Life in the UK’ pass certificate
  • Proof of your identity, such as your current passport or travel documents
  • Proof of your continuous residence, such as council tax statements, utility bills, mortgage statements or tenancy agreements
  • Recent bank statements
  • Recent payslips

How Soon Before tier 2 Leave Expires can you Apply for ILR?

You don’t need to wait for your tier 2 work visa to expire before you apply for indefinite leave to remain. If you entered the UK within 3 months of your visa being issued, you might be eligible to apply 28 days prior to the issue date on your visa. If you are confused as to whether you must be eligible, get in touch with our experienced immigration solicitors.

How Long Does it take to get British Citizenship after Indefinite Leave to Remain?

After you have held indefinite leave to remain in the UK for a year, then you will be able to apply to naturalise.

Changing between visas can sometimes seem like a challenging process and converting from tier 2 to ILR may need some professional guidance.

Contact us today to get started with your Indefinite Leave to Remain application. 

Legal Disclaimer.

All advice is correct at time of publication.