Partner Visa UK – Applying to live in the UK with your Partner

Partner Visa UK
Legally reviewed by: Nisha Leel In: Immigration

Can I Apply for a Partner Visa UK?

If you want to join your partner when they have settled permanently in the UK, there are a number of different partner visa UK options. We can help you to understand what the best route for you is, and what the UK partner visa requirements will be when you are applying.

What is a UK Partner Visa?

If you are married or have a civil partnership with your partner, then a UK spouse visa is the best route for you to take. It is a visa that will allow you to join your partner in the UK if they are a British citizen or if they are already permanently settled in the UK. If you are from a country outside of the European Economic Area and you are in a genuine relationship or civil partnership, then you may be able to take advantage of this visa.

How Can I Apply for a UK Partner Visa?

In order to submit a successful application for a Partner Visa, the Home Office will need to see substantial evidence that your relationship is a ‘real’ one. While this might seem unnecessary to you when you have been in a serious relationship for years, the popularity of these visas means that the Home Office runs very strict tests on these kinds of applications. You will have to submit months, or even years’ worth of proof of your relationship alongside you UK visa application.

Examples of evidence that you might submit could be:

  • Statements from joint bank accounts
  • Joint tenancy agreements
  • A marriage or civil partnership certificate

This evidence is especially important, as without it you are unlikely to be able to successfully prove that your relationship is a genuine one.

What are the Financial Requirements for a Partner Visa?

In addition to being able to meet all of the relationship and language test requirements, you must also be able to prove that you meet the minimum income requirement.

Currently, the minimum income requirement for UK settlement is £18,600 per year. You must be able to prove that you are either exceeding or earning this as a minimum at the time of your application.

If your partner wants to sponsor you, then you will have to prove that they can meet this amount. If a child is also being sponsored, the minimum earning threshold rises to £22,400, with an additional £2,400 for each further child. You must meet these financial requirements at the time of the application process.

What is an Unmarried Partner Visa?

An Unmarried Partner Visa is also known as the UK defacto visa, and it allows the unmarried partner to enter and remain in the UK on the basis that they are in a relationship with a person who is present and settled permanently in the UK. This visa applies to both heterosexual and same sex relationships, providing that you can prove that your relationship has existed for two or more years.

How Can I Apply For My Partner Visa UK?

In order to be able to apply for the unmarried partner visa, you must fulfil all of these relevant requirements:

  • You must be able to satisfy the English language requirements
  • You must have suitable accommodation available for you, your partner and any dependants
  • You and your partner must be able to prove that you have sufficient funds to support yourselves (and any dependants) without claiming public funds
  • You and your partner must be able to prove that you have suitable accommodation available for both, including any dependants
  • You must be able to prove that you have been living with your partner for at least two years in a relationship similar to marriage. You will need to provide documentary evidence confirming this
  • You and your partner must both be 18 years of age or over

The requirements that you must be able to prove when applying for both a spouse visa and an unmarried partner visa can be complicated, but our expert solicitors can help you to understand how to construct the best possible application.

Read more about our expert Birmingham-based immigration solicitors

Get in touch today for expert help and advice with starting your partner visa UK application.

Legal Disclaimer.

All advice is correct at time of publication.