Register my child as a British citizen

Child after bubble
Legally reviewed by: Nisha Leel In: Immigration

You can register certain children as British Citizens, who have not yet reached the age of 18.

The following categories of children can apply:

  • Children born in the UK to parents who are now settled or have become British Citizens
  • Children born in the UK to parents who have joined the Armed Forces or born abroad to parents serving in the Armed Forces
  • Children born abroad to parents who are British by descent and have lived or now live in the UK or a British Territory for a continuous period of 3 years with no more than 270 days absence during that period
  • Children adopted abroad by British parents
  • Children whose parents have renounced and subsequently resumed British citizenship.
  • Where it is considered to be in the best interests of the children to be granted British citizenship. This category includes a discretion to register illegitimate children born before 1 July 2006 to a British father.
  • Children who has lived in the UK for the first 10 years of their lives

Some children acquire British Citizenship automatically and do not have to register, such as children born in the UK to parents, one or both of whom are

  • British citizens
  • Are settled in the UK at the time of the child’s birth
  • Or are members of the UK armed forces
  • A child adopted in the UK under the Hague Convention by parents who are British, will also be automatically British
  • Some children born in the UK to EEA and Swiss nationals, depending on when the child was born.

If you require any assistance with making an application for registration, please contact our Immigration Law Solicitors who will be happy to discuss the matter with you.

Legal Disclaimer.

All advice is correct at time of publication.