Will the Home Office Revoke my Spouse Visa after my Divorce?

home office spouse visa
Legally reviewed by: Nisha Leel In: Immigration

Home Office Spouse Visas and Divorce

If you are married to a British citizen or someone who is settled in the UK and your visa relies on your relationship or marriage, what can you do if you separate or get divorced? You might be worried that your Home Office spouse visa will be revoked after a marriage breakdown, which would leave you with no other option than to leave the UK.

Spouse Visa and Divorce – Get Started

It is important that you are aware of your options following the divorce – or legal separation if you are on an unmarried partner visa.

Our team of immigration and family law solicitors are ready to help you with every aspect of your divorce and immigration status.

Revoking Spouse Visa UK

Rules for Home Office Spouse Visas after Divorce and Avoiding Revoking Spouse Visa UK

If you entered the UK and hold leave to remain on the basis of your marriage or civil partnership, then under UK immigration rules you can only remain in the UK for as long as that relationship lasts.

When your relationship ends, effectively so does your leave to remain in the UK.

If the Home Office becomes aware that you’re separate from your partner, they may take steps to curtail your leave to remain in the UK – meaning they carry out revoking spouse visa UK.

They may notify you that they are shortening the length of your leave with a view to you leaving the UK.

Spouse visa and divorce – Immigration support

If your relationship has broken down, it’s important to contact an immigration solicitor as soon as possible to identify your options and see whether you have any basis to make an application to the Home Office to stay in the UK – before they cancel your leave to remain.

Your options going forward depend on your individual circumstances, which is why immigration advice tailored to your situation is so important.

We have assisted many clients in the past with remaining or re-entering the UK following the revoking of their spouse visa, and can help you too.

My Spouse Visa has been Revoked Following my Divorce – What are my Options?

Which options will be available to you will depend on your personal circumstances. It can be a difficult process moving to a different visa category, and even understanding which visa is right for you can be complex.

Our immigration solicitors are here to help you assess which options and routes are available to you.

Below we have outlined some questions we have received from previous clients whose Home Office spouse visa has been revoked after a divorce.

Can I Leave the UK and Apply for Entry Clearance on a Different Basis?

It may be an option for you to leave the UK and apply for entry clearance on an alternative basis.

For example, if you want to work in the UK and you are eligible, you could make an application for a Tier 2 work visa. Or, you may want to come to the UK to study, so could make a Tier 4 student visa application.

Can I apply for a Family and Private Life Visa after my Spouse Visa was Revoked?

You can apply to remain in the UK on the basis of your family life if you have children in the UK.

Your children must be British citizens or have settled status for you to be able to do this. You can also apply on the basis of your private life in the UK.

Can I Apply for a Settlement on the Basis of Domestic Abuse?

If you have been a victim of domestic abuse during your relationship and have evidence of this, then you may be able to apply to settle in the UK on these grounds.

Domestic abuse includes but is not limited to, the following types of abuse:

  • Psychological
  • Physical
  • Sexual
  • Financial
  • Emotional

Our immigration and family law teams work closely to ensure that victims of domestic abuse are fully advised on their legal position.

We understand that it’s an emotionally difficult process, which is why our immigration solicitors will handle your case with care and sensitivity.

Can I Apply for Asylum or Humanitarian Protection?

If your Home Office spouse visa has been curtailed, but you are unable to return to your country of nationality because you fear persecution, or you cannot return due to the security or humanitarian situation, you may be eligible to claim humanitarian protection in the UK.

Staying in the UK After Divorce

After Revoking of Spouse Visa UK

We understand that divorces, annulments, dissolution of civil partnerships and separations are not simple – even when they don’t affect your immigration status.

But we’re here to help you. With specialists in both family and immigration law, we can help you with every aspect of your divorce and with every immigration matter.

In many cases, you could apply for another type of visa to remain in the UK after the revoking of your spouse visa. Our immigration solicitors can help you assess exactly what opportunities there are for you.

Here at Cartwright King, our friendly, knowledgeable solicitors are committed to help you stay in the UK after divorce.

A 30-minute consultation with one of our immigration solicitors can be held in our offices or over the phone or Skype. We do not offer free advice and will charge a non-refundable £95 fee per consultation.

Legal Disclaimer.

All advice is correct at time of publication.