Here to help.

Click here to speak to us today

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
  • DD slash MM slash YYYY
  • Please note that this is only a PROVISIONAL appointment time, a member of our team will either confirm the request, or provide the closest alternative option available.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Message us
Get a call back

Police Protection Order

Child Care Proceedings


A Police Protection Order is an inaccurate name used to describe a situation when police use their powers of protection pursuant to the Children Act 1989 to safeguard a child who is reasonably believed to be at risk of significant harm. When the police use their powers of protection it will be in an emergency situation to keep a child safe. If exercised, the police will remove the child from their current home and move them to a place they believe is safer for the child and where they will receive appropriate care. The police have to report this to social services as the police protection powers are a temporary measure that can only last 72 hours. It will provide Social Services with enough time to apply for any orders from the Court so that there is a plan for the longer term care of the child and will often lead to Care Proceedings being started.

If your child has been removed from your care due to Police intervention, it is in your best interests to acquire professional legal advice at your earliest convenience. At Cartwright King, we take a non-judgemental, professional approach to our client’s cases and acknowledge your right to legal representation. Our acclaimed Child Care solicitors are available to put your mind at ease by supporting you through the legal proceedings and represent you in court if the need arises.

Free initial telephone consultation

Everyone has the right to advice if they are dealing with child care issues and Police Protection Provisions. Our experienced lawyers are available at any time of day or night to help you. Our highly skilled Child Care team are here to take the worry off your hands.

We will happily provide an initial free telephone consultation to discuss your situation in more detail and if you are happy to proceed with our services, you will either be quoted an estimated or a fixed fee on a private fee paying basis. In some cases, Legal Aid may be available. Our fees will be dependent on a variety of factors such as what your case entails and the duration of your case. Please feel free to contact us for a no obligation quote.

What is a Police Protection?

Section 46 of the Children Act 1989 gives the police the power to either remove a child to suitable accommodation and keep him there or take such steps as are reasonable to ensure that the child’s removal from any hospital, or other place, in which he is then being accommodated is prevented. The police do not need to go to Court to do this. They simply need to have reasonable cause to believe that a child would otherwise be likely to suffer significant in order to use their powers.

Although a child can be removed from your care by the police they must have a warrant to come into your home or have your permission to enter; they cannot force entry and take the child unless there is evidence to suggest it is a matter of life or death. In that case, under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 they may enter any property without a warrant.

How can we help you?

In this situation it is paramount to get legal advice on the matter. If you or somebody you know needs help with or information on a Police Protection Provisions or care orders, our experienced Child Care solicitors are available to advise you throughout the entire process to adhere to the procedure and build a strong case for your defence. We promise to:

  • Advise you throughout the entire process
  • Treat your case in a non-judgemental, sensitive manner
  • Deal confidentially with any concerns you may have
  • Represent you in court where necessary
  • Prepare and collate any and all documentary evidence that may be required
  • Take the worry off your hands
  • Prepare an appeal if necessary

Our team are highly ranked in the Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners guides. We have extensive experience in successfully defending child care related matters, with our acclaimed Child Care solicitors who are renowned for their professional approach.

Legal Fees

Legal Aid is available in this area which means that you may be eligible for free advice. To discuss your eligibility for Legal Aid please get in contact with us for free initial advice.

If you are not eligible for Legal Aid then we can discuss affordable private paying fee arrangements.

We're here for you.