Here to help.

Click here to speak to us today

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
  • DD slash MM slash YYYY
  • Please note that this is only a PROVISIONAL appointment time, a member of our team will either confirm the request, or provide the closest alternative option available.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Message us
Get a call back

Special Guardianship Order

Child Care Proceedings


When there’s a crisis in the family home, and it’s in the best interests of a child to be cared for by someone else, Cartwright King can support you where there is an application for a Special Guardianship Order (SGO). 

We can help parents, family members, foster carers or any guardian of a child with SGO applications, and help bring stability and security to the lives of children.

Call us now for immediate action.

Here When You Need Us Most

When you need us, we’ll be there, doing everything we can to help families where there is a family crisis or concerns about children’s safety. Cartwright King handles all cases involving children sensitively and without judgement. 

We will work alongside you, giving you clear, sensible and straightforward advice as we support you and represent you to deal with a Special Guardianship Order application.  We’re here to listen to your worries, advise you on the SGO process and above all, look out for the best interests of you and the children. 

What matters to us is making sure that whether you are applying for a SGO, or whether someone is applying in respect of the children, you are treated fairly, you understand what is happening and that your voice is heard.

Who We Can Help With a Special Guardianship Order

Whether you are looking to make an application for special guardianship, or whether you are a parent seeking to argue against a Special Guardianship Order being made, we can help.

Cartwright King has helped many people with connections to a child become Special Guardians, including:

  • Grandparents
  • Siblings
  • Extended family members (including Aunts and Uncles)
  • Family friends
  • Foster carers

We can advise you on what to expect in terms of practical and financial support from your Local Authority and guide you through the process of becoming special guardians.

We help to diffuse and minimise any distress that could further affect a child or the family, bringing a calm, collected approach to matters. Our Children’s Law Solicitors have been helping families for years.

Cartwright King can help parents who find that their children may be placed away from their care under a Special Guardianship Order. If problems arise after a Special Guardianship Order is made, our experienced Children’s Law Solicitors can help – including giving advice on seeing your children if a SGO is made.

For legal representation that gives you complete peace of mind, call or email us now.

Get Started With a No Obligation Chat

Call us today and immediately speak to one of our Children’s Law specialists. There really is no substitute for talking to a specialist child care solicitor when deciding to make or oppose a Special Guardianship Order application.

Take the time to get to know us and get a sense of the Cartwright King culture and ethos. We want you to be completely at ease in choosing us to represent you.

Why Choose Cartwright King?

The wellbeing of children amid a family crisis requires immediate action.  You need Children’s Law Solicitors that know what they’re doing and able to act for you at a moment’s notice. Cartwright King delivers swift, incisive, sensible and reliable legal services to keep your case moving.

Legal Fees

Your legal fees will depend on the case itself, including the length of time your case takes and how complicated it is.

However, Legal Aid may be available for your SGO application. To discuss your eligibility for Legal Aid please call us, or email your enquiry.

If you are not eligible for Legal Aid, then we can discuss affordable private paying fee arrangements. Fixed fees are also available.

We're here for you.

Frequently asked questions.

A SGO is a Court order that gives a carer – usually  a relative, such as a grandparent, aunt or uncle – special guardianship over a child until they turn 18. This means that they can talk to parents about decisions for the child, but the final say would be theirs if an agreement cannot be reached over something that should or should not happen.

It also means that there are extra steps that need to be taken if a parent would ask the Court to return a child to their care.

A Special Guardianship Order offers more security than a Residence Order for the carers, but doesn’t cut off all ties to the birth parents like an Adoption Order would.

Anyone over the age of 18 with a connection to the child can apply for a SGO. However, you must meet criteria set out in the Children Act of 1989, which we can discuss with you.

You will need to give notice to your Local Authority that you wish to be considered as a special guardian. You will then go through a Local Authority children’s social services department assessment. Following the assessment a report will be submitted to the Court.

You will be subject to police checks, a medical report – to show that you are fit to care for the children – and references will need to be provided by friends, family or professionals that you work with. We can assist with all of this, including giving advice if you’re worried about your health preventing you from being a carer.

To make an application for a SGO, get in touch with Cartwright King today.