Here to help.

Click here to speak to us today

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
  • DD slash MM slash YYYY
  • Please note that this is only a PROVISIONAL appointment time, a member of our team will either confirm the request, or provide the closest alternative option available.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Message us
Get a call back

Supportive solicitors to resolve SEN issues

Education Law


Access to an education is the right of every child. If your child has special educational needs (SEN), our specialist Education Law team serves to ensure that your child’s rights to an education are protected. 

Our dedicated team can help you secure an EHC Needs Assessment, an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP – formerly known as a Statement of Special Educational Needs) and support you with appeals to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal (SENDIST).

For dedicated, highly focused support with SEN issues, get in touch with our Education Law team now.

How Cartwright King can help you

With a team dedicated exclusively to dealing with Education Law issues, our specialist lawyers understand SEN laws inside-out. This positions us perfectly to advise and represent you and your child to ensure access to education that’s fit for purpose. 

We have guided thousands of parents through SEN issues, giving a voice to those with children who require something different from their learning experience, including those with:

  • Autism 
  • Asperger’s Syndrome
  • Cerebral Palsy
  • Cystic Fibrosis
  • Down’s Syndrome
  • Dyslexia (also referred to as Specific Learning Difficulty- spLD)
  • Dyspraxia
  • Hearing Impairment
  • Muscular Dystrophy
  • Severe Allergies

Benefit from a free, initial telephone conversation

Securing special educational provisions for your child can be an uphill battle. That’s why you can benefit from a free, initial telephone call with a specialist Cartwright King Education Lawyer to understand your rights and to discuss how we can best support you with the legal backing you need.

You’re under no pressure to instruct us, this call simply gives you a starting point before you make your next move.

There’s no substitute for speaking to one of our specialist Education Law Solicitors to get clear guidance on the best action to take for your child.

For immediate assistance, call us or email us for your free* initial discussion. 

The discussion is completely informal and confidential, and is an opportunity for us to:

  • Get to know you 
  • Understand your situation
  • Agree how you want to proceed

*Please be aware that this is a ‘get to know you’ call and no advice will be given.

Why choose Cartwright King for SEN issues?

Dealing with SEN issues requires trusted and experienced legal advice and representation. 

Cartwright King does more than give you legal advice and send you on your way, we offer total support from start to finish, standing alongside you to ensure that the special educational needs of your child are heard and taken seriously.

Our dedicated Education Lawyers work tirelessly to build your case to give it the best possible chance of success. We know that you want your child to have an equal opportunity to learn. That’s why instructing us gives you the legal arsenal to ensure that your child has everything they need to get the education they deserve.

We listen, we understand and we genuinely care about ensuring that your child has access to an education that’s right for them and aids their development. That’s why we offer sound, honest, reliable legal advice to ensure that you are heard and your legal rights are protected.

Instructing Cartwright King gives you the assurance of having access to dedicated Education Lawyers focused specifically on education issues. Getting the right advice from proven specialists is the difference in securing the best outcome for you. When your child’s education is a stake, our Education Lawyers rise to the challenge.

We’re a trusted, resourceful Legal 500 top tier law firm with specialist solicitors that are calm under pressure, giving you advice and support that you can count on.

Access to Legal Aid

For education law advice and representation, Cartwright King can offer Legal Aid for:

  • Special Educational Needs including Education, Health and Care Plans
  • Discrimination in Education
  • Public Law Challenges to Education Matters

To find out if you are eligible for Legal Aid, you first need to contact Civil Legal Advice who will assess your financial circumstances and the nature of your case. 

If you are not eligible for Legal Aid, Cartwright King offers a number of payment options. To get an idea of legal fees, get in touch with our Education Law team today.

We're here for you.

Frequently asked questions.

The EHC Needs Assessment is the process the Local Authority goes through to decide whether or not a child or young person needs support through an EHCP. A parent or school can request that a Local Authority carry out an assessment of a child or young person’s special educational needs.

A young person over the age of 16 can also request their own assessment.

A Local Authority has a maximum of 16 weeks to complete an assessment. If a Local Authority determines that they need to issue an EHCP, this must be done so within 20 weeks of the assessment being requested.

The EHCP sets out the education, health and social care support that a child or young person needs, as well as where they must be educated.

Parents should be involved in the whole process, having the opportunity to comment on a draft EHCP and express a preference as to the school they would like their child to attend. Children and young people should also, as far as is appropriate and possible, be involved in the process.

The Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal (SENDIST) is a panel made up of a lawyer, who will chair the Tribunal, and two other independent panelists with SEN experience.

The panel will consider appeals against SEN decisions made by a Local Authority. Appeals to the SENDIST usually take place when parents and a Local Authority are unable to reach a suitable agreement. The SENDIST can also deal with some claims relating to disability discrimination against a child by a Local Authority or school.

If you are considering an appeal, instructing our Education Law team to help prepare the relevant paperwork, or to represent you at the appeal, will help you put forward the best possible case for your child.
An appeal can be made to the SENDIST if a Local Authority:

Refuses to conduct an EHC Needs Assessment
Refuses to issue an EHCP
Refuses to conduct a reassessment of the SEN
Refuses to amend the EHCP after a review or reassessment
Fails to name a school in an EHCP
Ceases to maintain an EHCP

An appeal can also be made to the SENDIST if you disagree with:

The description of SEN in an EHCP
The description of the SEN provision in an EHCP
The school or type of school named in an EHCP

It is important to note that mediation should be considered before you start the process of appealing to the SENDIST.

A Local Authority decision letter should set out the reasons for their decision, provide details of the local mediation service and explain your right of appeal to the SENDIST. Appeals usually have to be lodged within two months of the decision letter.

Cartwright King’s dedicated Education Law team can help with very specific instructions to ensure that your child gets the additional support they need. We know that facing the authorities alone can be distressing and time consuming when all you want is for your child to get a decent education.

Specifically, we can assist you with:

Requesting transition from a Statement to EHCP
Requesting an EHC Needs Assessment for your child
Advising on the content of an EHCP
Securing the appropriate support outlined in an EHCP
Advising you on the duties of the relevant public bodies and the rights of parents and children with SEN
Appealing to the SENDIST for any of the matters listed above
Assisting with the annual review of an EHCP
Complaining to schools or Local Authorities where the statutory processes are not being followed