Here to help.

Click here to speak to us today

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
  • DD slash MM slash YYYY
  • Please note that this is only a PROVISIONAL appointment time, a member of our team will either confirm the request, or provide the closest alternative option available.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Message us
Get a call back

Child Custody Solicitors

Children Law


As a parent, you will understandably be worried about the emotional wellbeing and safety of your children when going through a divorce or separation. That’s why putting the needs of your children first is the top priority of our child custody solicitors. 

The empathy and experience you need

We listen, we care and we act fast to bring stability to what is a time of instability for you and your children. Cartwright King is a family of specialist lawyers working nationwide, serving with empathy and experience to help with Child Arrangement Orders, Child Custody, Child Contact, Child Residence and Child Abduction cases.

There’s no substitute for speaking to a specialist child custody solicitor when faced with making child arrangements. To open your case with Cartwright King, call or email us today and we will get back to you.

Helping you get child arrangements right

The key to getting arrangements right for your children is to put their needs first. This will require you to set aside your differences with your ex, which we know can be difficult, for the sake of your kids.  We’re here to support you in coming to an agreement with your former partner on what’s best for your children.

Our first aim is to try and keep the matter out of the courts to avoid any further emotional distress for all involved. For that to work, you should think about the following questions:

  • How much time do you have available to care for your children?
  • Is your home close enough to your children’s school and their friends?
  • What changes could occur as children get older?

If you and your ex can agree on your answers to these questions, it could go a long way toward the two of you reaching an agreement. 

However, we appreciate that this isn’t always possible, especially when emotions are running high. Should you be unable to reach an agreement with your former partner, however you decide to proceed, Cartwright King is committed to your cause, offering you honest, sound legal advice every step of the way. 

Instruct a Cartwright King child custody solicitor

You want a child custody solicitor that puts the welfare of your children first. No matter how complex your situation, instructing Cartwright King gives you access to start to finish legal support. We will partner with you to deliver the best outcome for you and your children.

It all starts with a free consultation*, which gives you the opportunity to share your circumstances, get to know us and for us to get to know you. This gives you complete peace of mind that our legal services are right for you. 

To get the ball rolling, call or email us today and we will contact you.

*Please note that our free consultation is a ‘get to know you’ call. No advice will be given on this call.

Legal Fees

Your legal fees will depend on the case itself. If a voluntary agreement can be reached, avoiding the courts will keep your legal costs down.  Fixed fees are also available depending on your case.

Due to Government changes to Legal Aid, you are now unlikely to qualify for Legal Aid in this service area.

To discuss your fees in further detail, please call us, or email your enquiry.

We're here for you.

Frequently asked questions.

A Child Arrangement Order is the final decision of the court to determine where a child lives and who a child can have contact with. Although this is often referred to as child custody or residence, it is formally known as ‘child arrangements’.

Contact refers to the time children spend with a parent they do not live with. Contact can be direct, such as face-to-face meetings, or in-direct, such as telephone calls and letters. It can also be supervised, for instance, another family member or friend may need to be there, or non-supervised.

In child contact issues, regular contact with both parents is accepted as in children’s best interest. A regular routine that suits both parties and the child is the ideal arrangement. Again this can be formalised in a Child Arrangements Order.

Our lawyers will help you come to a voluntary agreement, however, if you are not able to reach an agreement then the court can impose a Child Arrangements Order (previously called a Contact Order). This will detail the exact contact the non-resident parent can have. This will include days spent with the non-resident parents at the weekend or in the week.

Child abduction is when a person takes or sends a child under the age of 16 out of the UK without the permission of those with parental responsibility or permission from the court. 

It is important to note that if a person has a Child Arrangement Order for a child to live with them, they will not be acting unlawfully if the child is taken or sent out of the UK for up to 28 days without the appropriate consent.

A relationship breakdown can make it difficult for parents to come to an agreement over issues relating to children. Our child custody solicitors will always aim to help parents come to a voluntary agreement that works for all parties. 

However, if this is not possible, we can support you in obtaining a Child Arrangement Order from the courts. Legal proceedings can be frustrating and complex. If you do need to go to court, you should seek expert legal advice from an experienced child custody solicitor.

The law prefers to see voluntary agreements rather than court-imposed settlements. Therefore, the courts will generally only become involved where both parents cannot reach a suitable arrangement. 

If this is the case, the court can impose a Child Arrangements Order (previously called a Contact Order). This will detail the exact contact the non-resident parent can have. This will include days spent with the non-resident parents at the weekend or in the week.

The family court is where a family judge can make a number of orders to resolve the issues when both parents cannot agree to a compromise.

The order that can be made is a Child Arrangement Order, which now covers the previous orders a court could make which were:

  • Parental responsibility orders
  • Supervised, Staying, Visiting or Defined contact orders
  • Specific Issue orders