Here to help.

Click here to speak to us today

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
  • DD slash MM slash YYYY
  • Please note that this is only a PROVISIONAL appointment time, a member of our team will either confirm the request, or provide the closest alternative option available.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Message us
Get a call back

Domestic Abuse

Family Law

Doing something about domestic abuse can be frightening. That’s why our dedicated team of Domestic Abuse Lawyers will support you and your children to get the protection you need from your partner, former partner or a family member. We listen, advise and give you a voice to help free you from the abuse you’re facing.

For sensitive, sympathetic and confidential legal support, get in touch with Cartwright King today.

How Cartwright King Can Help With Domestic Abuse Issues

Our priority is your protection. That’s why Cartwright King will help you come up with a plan of action to escape domestic violence. Our professional Domestic Abuse Solicitors will do everything they can to ensure your case is properly presented, securing the right outcome to keep you out of harm’s way. We can help with:

  • Non-Molestation Orders/Injunctions
  • Occupation Orders
  • Divorce 
  • Child Care Arrangements

Benefit From an Initial Telephone Conversation

The first step is always the hardest when dealing with domestic abuse. That’s why we offer a short, initial telephone call with a specialist Cartwright King Domestic Abuse Lawyer to assess your options. You’re under no pressure to instruct us, this is an opportunity to take that difficult first step.

There’s no substitute for speaking to one of our specialist Domestic Violence Solicitors to get realistic, clear advice that will help you escape abuse.

For immediate assistance, call us or email us for a short initial discussion*. 

The discussion is completely informal and confidential, and is an opportunity for us to establish if you qualify for Legal Aid, and if not, to offer you a fixed fee appointment so that we can then:

  • Get to know you 
  • Understand your situation
  • Offer detailed advice
  • Agree how you want to proceed

*Please be aware that the initial call is to assess your position, not to offer advice.

Why Choose Cartwright King For Domestic Abuse Cases?

Personal, pro-active and productive, three defining traits of Cartwright King’s service, which combine to ensure that you benefit from sensitive, sympathetic and practical legal advice. 

We know that domestic violence can be physically and emotionally distressing for you and your family, but our Domestic Abuse Lawyers will help you take legal action to secure your safety.

Our advice is backed by experience of dealing with all manner of domestic abuse issues. You can trust this experience to help guide you through the process as there aren’t many situations we haven’t come across before when dealing with domestic violence cases. 

Our Domestic Abuse Lawyers  go above and beyond to give you the support you need, for added peace of mind that your case is in good hands.

We listen, we understand and we genuinely care about keeping you safe. That’s why we offer sound, honest, reliable legal advice to ensure that you’re prepared for the process and giving you a voice that’s heard. 

Working with a specialist Cartwright King solicitor gives you the assurance of having access to legal counsel who will advise you at every stage of your case. 

We’re committed to defending your legal rights and ensuring that you’re taken seriously and treated with dignity. When you need us most, we’ll be there to offer sound, sensible legal advice and sure guidance.  

We’re a trusted, resourceful Legal 500 top tier law firm with specialist solicitors that are calm under pressure, giving you counsel that you can count on.

Legal Fees

In some cases, Legal Aid is available for domestic abuse cases. 

To discuss your eligibility for Legal Aid please call us, or email your enquiry.

Alternatively, we offer fixed fee services for private paying individuals. For an idea of legal fees, get in touch with us.

We're here for you.

Frequently asked questions.

A Non-Molestation Order is a type of injunction, which can protect you and your children from abuse or harassment. If someone has been physically violent toward you or is harassing, intimidating or pestering you, Cartwright King can help you file an application for a Non-Molestation Order.

It’s possible to file an application for a Non-Molestation Order even if you have to, or indeed still want to, live with the person(s) abusing you.

A Non-Molestation Order can include restrictions for:

Your abuser not to be violent, threaten violence, intimidate, pester or harass you
Your abuser not to contact you by telephone, email, social media or in person
Your abuser not to attend or contact you for any reason at your place of work

When considering whether to issue an application for a Non-Molestation Order, the Court will assess your circumstances, including the need to secure the health, safety and well-being of you and your children. Cartwright King will help you gather the evidence that will be required to satisfy the Court.

A Non-Molestation Order can also prevent your abuser from returning home if you own the property you live in or the tenancy is in your sole name, you’re not married to the person abusing you or your abuser has no legal entitlement to your home.

If none of these apply to you, then an Occupation Order may be needed to stop your abuser from returning home.

An Occupation Order is a type of injunction that determines who can live in the family home or property where domestic abuse has occurred.
An Occupation Order can:

Order your abuser to move out of the home or to stay away from the home
Order your abuser to keep a certain distance away from the home
Order your abuser to stay in certain parts of the home at certain times (for example it can order a person to sleep in a different bedroom)
Order your abuser to allow you back into the home if they have locked you out
Order your abuser to continue to pay the mortgage, rent or bills
When considering whether to issue an Occupation Order, the Court will assess:

The housing needs and resources of you, your abuser and any children
The financial resources of you both
The likely effect any order, or not making an order, will have on you, your abuser and any children
Your and your abuser’s behaviour to one another

It’s possible that the Court will also consider the harm that you or your children could face if an Occupation Order is not granted. The type of Occupation Order you can apply for, how long it will last and the factors that the Court will take into account depend on the legal entitlement to the home of you and your abuser.

The duration of an order is determined by the Court, but they can last weeks, months, a year or even more.

Call 999 immediately to get police assistance. The police may be able to attend the scene to protect you from further abuse and/or arrest the person responsible.