Here to help.

Click here to speak to us today

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
  • DD slash MM slash YYYY
  • Please note that this is only a PROVISIONAL appointment time, a member of our team will either confirm the request, or provide the closest alternative option available.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Message us
Get a call back

Sponsorship Licence

Business Immigration


If you’re a British business looking to hire non-UK workers, or a UK higher education provider seeking to enrol international students, Cartwright King’s specialist Immigration Team can help you secure the necessary Sponsorship Licence you will need. Benefit from our years of experience of dealing with UK Visas and Immigration.

Get in touch with Cartwright King’s specialist Immigration Team now, for help applying for a Sponsor Licence.

How Cartwright King Can Help with UK Visa Sponsorship Licences

Getting the right advice and understanding the duties that come with being a UK visa sponsor are crucial to securing a Sponsorship Licence. We will work with you to ensure that your application for a licence is accurate and watertight. Plus, we can help with compliance issues. Our specialist Immigration Team can assist with:

  • Visa Sponsor Licence applications for UK employers
  • Visa Sponsor Licence applications for UK higher education providers
  • Defined and Undefined Certificates of Sponsorship applications
  • Home Office compliance issues
  • UK Visas and Immigration site visits
  • Services as a Level 1 or Level 2 user for the SMS

Important UK Visa Sponsorship Licence Information for 2021

Following the end of free movement between the EU and UK from 1 January 2021, all non-UK nationals – including EU nationals (excluding citizens of Ireland) – require a visa for UK entry. This applies to those seeking entry for work and study in the UK

It is the responsibility of visa sponsors to ensure that a person holds a valid UK visa and has the right to study or work in the UK. You face losing your Sponsor Licence and a hefty fine if you fail to comply with the duties and conditions of your licence.

If a person you’re sponsoring, or a close family member of that person, is a citizen of the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, and started living in the UK prior to 1 January 2021, you could notify them that they might be eligible for the free EU Settlement Scheme. 

The EU Settlement Scheme exempts an individual from needing a UK visa to remain in the country. Individuals have up until 30 June 2021 to apply for the scheme.

If an individual does not qualify for the EU Settlement Scheme they will need a visa to live, work or study in the UK.

If you are a British business looking to hire EU and non-EU staff, you will need a relevant Sponsorship Licence to issue Certificates of Sponsorship that enable you to hire Skilled Worker visa holders or Temporary Worker visa holders. 

The UK Skilled Worker visa route replaced the Tier 2 (General) visa route on 1 December 2020.

If you’re a UK higher education provider, you will need a Sponsor Licence to enrol Student visa holders.

Amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, entry to the UK is subject to the current government guidelines.

Speak to a specialist Cartwright King Immigration Lawyer today for advice on applying for the right UK Sponsor Licence.

Benefit from a Free, Initial Telephone Consultation

UK Sponsor Licences come with strict conditions and duties. To ensure that you meet the conditions and your business can fulfil the duties required, you need the right advice to give your application for a licence the best possible chance of approval by the Home Office.

To discuss your Sponsor Licence options, we can offer a free  initial telephone call with a specialist Cartwright King Sponsor Licence Lawyer.

Amid the coronavirus pandemic and ever-changing UK immigration rules, there’s no substitute for speaking to a specialist Cartwright King Immigration Lawyer, who can help you navigate the complex UK immigration system.

For immediate UK Sponsor Licence assistance, contact us today for your free* initial discussion. 

The discussion is completely informal and confidential, and is an opportunity for us to:

  • Get to know you 
  • Understand your situation
  • Agree how you want to proceed

*This call will allow us to make an initial assessment of your case and the options available to you, no detailed advice will be provided.

Why Choose Cartwright King for Sponsor Licence Advice?

We understand that there’s a lot at stake when it comes to applying for a Sponsor Licence. If you’re a UK business owner, a Sponsor Licence gives you access to skilled overseas talent that you need to grow your business.

If you’re a UK higher education provider, a Sponsor Licence allows you to attract the brightest and best to Britain, maintaining the country’s reputation as a leading education provider.

Whatever the circumstances, we listen, we understand and we care about the outcome of your case. 

That’s why we’re committed to helping you secure a Sponsorship Licence with professional, sensible legal advice and sure guidance.  

We’re a trusted, resourceful Legal 500 top tier law firm with specialist solicitors that are calm under pressure, giving you peace of mind that we’re the right law firm to help you resolve your UK immigration requirements.

We're here for you.

Frequently asked questions.

As a UK employer, you are responsible for:

  • Checking that any non-UK nationals that you hire have the required skills, qualifications or professional accreditations for the job that you recruited them for. You must retain any documents that show proof of these requirements
  • Assigning Certificates of Sponsorship to non-UK nationals, only when the job is suitable for sponsorship
  • Informing the relevant UKVI Sponsor Licence department of the Home Office if a sponsored worker is breaching the conditions of their visa – i.e. unreported absences
  • Having a HR system in place to monitor employees
  • Keeping a record of employee attendance and absences 
  • Keeping employee contact details up to date 
  • Reporting changes to your business that affect your licence and individuals that you’re sponsoring – i.e. your business is being taken over

As a UK higher education provider, you are responsible for:

  • Checking that any international students you have enrolled have permission to study in the UK – you must retain and maintain documentary evidence as proof for the entirety of a student’s time in the UK
  • Notifying UKVI if a student changes course, stops attending classes or withdraws from a course of study entirely
  • Only issuing CAS numbers to students capable of completing their selected course
  • Only issuing CAS numbers to students who are eligible to complete their course within the time limits permitted on their Student visa.
  • Keeping student contact records up to date
  • Monitoring student attendance and absence

In order to assess whether an organisation can fulfil its Sponsor Licence duties, the Home Office may conduct a site visit as part of your application to sponsor visa holders. A compliance visit can also be made at any time during the validity period of your Sponsorship Licence. Visits can be scheduled or unscheduled.

Home Officials will scrutinise your systems, processes and procedures to determine whether you can meet your Sponsor Licence duties. 

If the Home Office has requested a site visit, or you suspect an unscheduled visit, talk to Cartwright King’s experienced Business Immigration Lawyers immediately, for advice.