14th August 2014

How to move to England legally?

If you wish to come and live in the UK there are many different types of application that you can make. These include the following:

  • Moving to the UK to study – Tier 4 application.
  • Moving to the UK for work – Tier 2 applications.
  • Moving to the UK as an entrepreneur or an investor – Tier 1
  • Moving to the UK as a family member of a British citizen, settled person refugee or person with humanitarian protection.
  • Moving to the UK as a non-EEA national family member of an EEA national.

You will need to make the application from your home country and normally the application is made online and then you are given an appointment at the nearest British Embassy to hand in documentation and possibly be interviewed. Currently the only two countries which do not offer the facility to make applications online are Cuba and North Korea.

You will need to look carefully at the rules and requirements for the specific type of application you are going to make and not only ensure you meet these, but also that you can provide evidence to prove that you do.

If you are an EEA national then you do not need to make an application, you have free movement rights so can go and live and work freely in the UK. It is however advisable to make an application to avoid carrying all of your documents with you when travelling and also makes it easier when you later apply for permanent residence or want to naturalise.

If you would like to discuss your options for moving to the UK then please contact our immigration solicitors on 0808 168 5550 or email

For further information please get in touch with our dedicated team.

You can always call us on 0845 894 1622 or email on


1 day ago

Our Fraud Solicitors, Laura Smith and Sundeep Soor, have successfully defended a client who was charged with Conspi…

5 days ago

@NottsLawSociety Many thanks to Selina Hinchliffe from @brownejacobson for making it such a relaxed and positive session!

Follow us @CartwrightKing