Skip to main content

Can Lithuanians claim benefits in the UK?

Rules introduced earlier this year state that EEA nationals are not entitled to claim Job Seekers Allowance until they have been in the country for three months and can satisfy the habitual residence test. To satisfy this test, EEA nationals must show:

  • That they have a legal right to reside in the UK, AND
  • That they intend to settle in the Common Travel Area (UK, Isle of Man, Channel Islands or Ireland) and make it their home. 

Furthermore, as of April this year, the government introduced a policy that EEA migrants cannot claim Housing Benefit if they are in receipt of Income Based Job Seekers Allowance. 

For more detailed information about benefits, you should contact your local job centre or Citizens Advice Bureau. 

Alternatively, if you would like information about EEA applications then please contact a member of our immigration department on 

Email you enquiry:

Email your Enquiry

Please complete the form below providing a brief outline of your query, and a member of our friendly team will be in touch with you shortly.


Please provide a brief outline of your query below, and one of our specialist team members will be in touch with you shortly.

Email Cartwright King Solicitors
Call Cartwright King Solicitors

You can now make online payments to us via our secure payment facility.

Make a Payment