Skip to main content

Fact Sheet: Bringing Claims Against Your Employer

Employment Tribunal Time Limits and ACAS Early Conciliation

Before you can submit a claim to an Employment Tribunal it is compulsory to first notify ACAS under its Early Conciliation procedure (in virtually all cases). 
The time limit to register with Early Conciliation is very strict. Claims for unfair dismissal must be registered within three months of the date your employment ends.  For example, if you are dismissed on 10 January you must register with ACAS Early Conciliation by 9 April. To complain about an act of discrimination or a breach of contract you must register within three months of the act or breach. To complain about unpaid wages or holiday pay it is three months within the date the payment was due. The time limit for redundancy payments and equal pay claims is within 6 months. 
It is vital you do not miss these time limits as an Employment Tribunal will only ever allow late claims in exceptional circumstances and you should never rely on this. If you fail to register with ACAS in time your claim will probably not be allowed.

What is Early Conciliation and How Does It Work? 

To participate in this procedure you must complete an Early Conciliation Notification Form or telephone ACAS. For further information on conciliation visit the ACAS website or telephone 0300 123 1100. If you appoint us as your legal representative, we can negotiate with the ACAS conciliator on your behalf but you must make the first approach yourself.
An ACAS conciliator will speak to your employer to see if you can settle your differences. ACAS conciliators should be independent and should not take sides. They should not pass on information to your employer that you do not want to be shared. Conciliation is a confidential process so Tribunals would not take into account what has been discussed during conciliation if you subsequently go to a Tribunal hearing.
Under the Early Conciliation procedure, the time limit clock for submitting an Employment Tribunal claim is paused for up to 1 calendar month. This can be further extended by a further 14 days by agreement. If the Conciliation period ends without a satisfactory settlement you generally have one more month to submit you claim to an Employment Tribunal. Time limits can become tricky depending on when the time limit clock has been paused so you are advised to check with your solicitor and submit your claim as soon as the Early Conciliation procedure ends.

Submitting Your Claim to an Employment Tribunal

Again, you must submit your claim within the month after Conciliation ends or your claim will not be allowed. 
Please note that unless you specifically instruct us to submit the Tribunal claim on your behalf, and we agree to accept your instructions, you will be responsible for submitting your own claim within the statutory time limit. If we are not instructed to submit the claim on your behalf and you would still like to make a claim, you will need to complete Form ET1 which is available online or from your local tribunal office. Alternatively, you may prefer to lodge a claim online by going to

Costs of Submitting a Claim to an Employment Tribunal

You will probably have to pay a fee to make a claim. The amount depends on your type of case and your personal circumstances. The most common types are set out below:
Type Of FeeAmount

Issue Fee: Type A Claim

(eg. wages, redundancy, time off)


Issue Fee: Type B Claim

(eg. unfair dismissal, discrimination)

Hearing Fee: Type A Claim£230
Hearing Fee: Type B Claim£950
You may qualify for a fee remission if you are on a low income or receiving certain state benefits. Further details can be found on the Employment Tribunals website.
Unlike the ordinary courts, costs are not normally awarded against a claimant who loses an Employment Tribunal claim. The Tribunal only has power to award costs against either a person or their representative who has acted unreasonably, frivolously or vexatiously, or where the case is “misconceived” meaning that it has no reasonable prospect of success. There are also powers for Employment Tribunals to hold a Preliminary Hearing, and if they believe a case has a low prospect of success will only allow the person to continue with it if they pay a deposit to continue, calculated on the basis of the Tribunal’s assessment of the person’s ability to pay up to £1,000 per allegation or argument in a claim.
Because costs are not generally awarded against the losing party it does unfortunately mean that if you win your employer will not be ordered to pay your legal fees. The costs of bringing a claim are therefore something you need to weigh up carefully in the beginning, especially if you do not have insurance cover. If you win the Tribunal can order your employer to pay your tribunal submission and hearing fees. 

Compensation in the Employment Tribunal

Basic and Compensatory Awards for Unfair Dismissal

If you are successful in your claim for unfair dismissal, you will be entitled to a “basic award” which is calculated on the basis of your age, salary and length of service. This is the same calculation used for statutory redundancy payments and can be up to 30 weeks’ pay although this currently capped at £479 gross per week. If you have already been paid statutory redundancy pay by your employer you will not be entitled to a basic award as well.
In addition, the tribunal has the discretion to award you compensation for any financial loss flowing from the dismissal up to a maximum of £78,962 (“the compensatory award”). This could include your loss of earnings whilst you are looking for a new job, loss of any benefits, including pension, and any expenses you incur in seeking new employment. You may also be able to claim continuing losses after you start a new job if you are unable to find new work at a comparable salary and/or with comparable benefits. Any state benefits which you have received following your dismissal can be deducted from loss of wages compensation ordered by the Tribunal. 

“Injury to Feelings” Compensation for Discrimination and Whistle-Blowing Claims   

These awards come in three bands known as “Vento” bands (after the case of Mrs Vento). The awards range from £660 for very mild, one-off acts of discrimination to £33,000 for the most serious cases where the claimant has been subjected to ill treatment over a long period and usually has injury to health as well such as anxiety disorder or depression. Aggravated damages can also be awarded in these types of cases where the employer’s behaviour has been particularly abusive.  

It is vital to “mitigate your loss” and prove it 

Please be aware that you are under an obligation to mitigate your losses by looking for another job. We would therefore recommend that you commence a thorough search for new employment as soon as possible. For example, you should register with employment agencies, online job sites and with the Job Centre, and regularly search appropriate newspapers, trade press and online for suitable vacancies.
It is important that you keep comprehensive documentary evidence to show the steps you have taken to mitigate your losses, including copies of advertisements for the jobs you apply for, applications you make and the responses you receive. You should also make a note of the reasons why any apparently suitable positions have not been pursued. It can be useful to keep a diary recording steps taken in your job search, for example, recording details of telephone conversations with recruitment consultants and prospective employers.
The tribunal may reduce the amount of compensation payable to you if it considers that you have not taken reasonable steps to find new employment. While the onus will be on your employer to show that you have not done enough to find a new job, rather than on you to prove that you have, we would strongly recommend that you keep copies of all documents relevant to your job search in order that you can defeat any argument on mitigation your employer may raise.
Any state benefits which you have received following your dismissal can be deducted from loss of wages compensation. 

Settling your Claim

It is possible that an offer of compensation would be made to you to avoid you having to go to Tribunal. This will be done either by the employer or their representative, or by ACAS. ACAS have a statutory duty to try and settle claims. If an offer of compensation is made to you, we will take your instructions and communicate these to you. We will not agree any final settlement on your behalf without your express authority to do so.
We will try to obtain the best outcome for you and advise you when a settlement is appropriate. Statistics suggest that the majority of Tribunal cases are settled out of court. A typical settlement will carry a form of agreed wording, an agreed reference and financial pay out.

Making a Claim in the County Court

It is also possible to bring a claim in a county court for breach of contract for damages or a sum due under the contract where the time limit is 6 years. However, the employer would be entitled to counterclaim in a breach of contract action. You cannot submit unfair dismissal, whistleblowing or discrimination claims to the County Court.
Costs in the County Court and High Court in England and Wales are entirely at the discretion of the Court. However, they generally “follow the event”. This means if you win an action the other side is likely to be ordered to pay your costs. Should you lose, the reverse is likely to be ordered. Generally, if an order for costs is made in your favour you will recover in the region of 60-80% of your total costs from the other party. As always, with any Judgment, it is only as good as the other side’s ability to pay.
It may be worth pursuing a breach of contract claim in the County Court if you have a high value claim with strong merits and so a strong chance of recouping a good proportion of your legal fees. On the whole, though, an application to an Employment Tribunal is quicker and simpler and you avoid the risk of paying your employer’s costs if you lose.
For more information or expert legal advice on employment law issues, please contact us on 0808 168 5550 or email
Firm News

Email you enquiry:

Email your Enquiry

Please complete the form below providing a brief outline of your query, and a member of our friendly team will be in touch with you shortly.

Please provide a brief outline of your query below, and one of our specialist team members will be in touch with you shortly.

Email Cartwright King Solicitors
Call Cartwright King Solicitors

You can now make online payments to us via our secure payment facility.

Make a Payment
Enquiry Popup