Phone 07801 791 302
Anthony Harris is a director at Cartwright King and a highly experienced lawyer who specialises in defending large-scale fraud prosecutions and matters involving serious and high-level crime. Noted for his reassuring manner and his meticulous approach to case preparation, he is also adept at dealing with high-value Confiscation cases.
Anthony has a wealth of experience in serious fraud, business defence and crime matters and regularly defends investigations and prosecutions brought by the Serious Fraud Office, the Crown Prosecution Service and Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs. He has developed a substantial knowledge and experience of VAT fraud and regularly represents professionals accused of money laundering offences. He has also handled numerous complex restraint and confiscation proceedings and has frequently taken over the conduct of such cases post conviction. In addition, Anthony’s serious crime practice encompasses a variety of heavy-weight prosecutions including murder, organised crime and large-scale drug importations.
Cerebral and analytical in his approach but with an ability to explain complex legal issues simply and clearly, Anthony is lauded by clients and counsel alike for his calm and organised manner, his approachability and for the quality of his advice.
Anthony has been involved in numerous high-profile prosecutions over the years, including an attempted conspiracy to defraud St Paul’s Cathedral of £100 million and the infamous Jubilee Line Extension fraud. He has been a Fraud Case Supervisor since 2000 and is a member of POCLA and the LCCSA.
• R v A - One of the earliest MTIC fraud trials based in the Channel Islands.
• R v B - Irish based MTIC fraud. Client acquitted after 3 month trial.
• R v C & D – Acted for 2 accountants in Jubilee line extension fraud where no evidence was offered on all charges.
• R v E - Italian lawyer acquitted of involvement in a conspiracy to defraud St. Paul’s Cathedral of £100m.
• R v F - Represented senior partner of firm of solicitors on money laundering charges where prosecution eventually offered no evidence.
• R v G - Took over case of accountant serving 5 years to prepare £45m Confiscation proceedings. Conviction quashed on appeal and client acquitted after retrial.
• R v H - High profile £35m MTIC fraud resulting in 9 year sentence and £9.5m confiscation order. Client extradited back to UK after absconding from prison. High Court proceedings in relation to Enforcement Receivership, Contempt of Court and Enforcement of Default sentence and subsequent complex blackmail trial.
• R v I - 21 Defendant multi million pound Construction Industry VAT and Income Tax Fraud.
• R v J - 14 Defendant Conspiracy to evade duty on tobacco.
• R v K - Main defendant in large scale MTIC fraud based on FCIB banking evidence.
• R v L - Represented a defendant in the first spread betting insider information fraud.