Area(s) of Practice Mental Health
Phone 07703 739 282
Justina Gleave is part of Cartwright King's Mental Health team.
Justina is a member of the Mental Health Panel Accreditation Scheme and covers work in the South, Gloucester, Bristol, Wiltshire, Somerset, Dorset, Iles of Scilly, Devon and Cornwall. She is a specialist in all aspects of mental health law, having extensive and up-to-date knowledge and regularly representing clients who are detained under both civil and criminal provisions (restricted and unrestricted patients) of the Mental Health Act.
Justina has acted for clients detained in high security, other forensic services and general psychiatric units and helps young people (under 18 years) detained under the Mental Health Act. She offers advice and representation for any of the above clients:
- At mental health tribunals and hospital managers reviews
"By clearly explaining how discharge could be achieved and my own prospects of success she made me feel that my dark cloud had a silver lining" - AH (former client) Cornwall
- For ‘nearest relatives’ and their applications.
- On ‘aftercare’ and the extent of the local authority’s after-care responsibilities following discharge from hospital under s117 Mental Health Act 1983.
- On proceedings to challenge the lawfulness of decisions taken by hospitals and/or local authorities
- On how to challenge hospitals or authorities who refuse to fund certain types of treatment or care.
- On all areas of the Mental Capacity Act and works with patients who are unable to make specific decisions for themselves.
Justina qualified as a barrister and is a member of Grays Inn, London.
Justina is a skilled and experienced advocate, having also had experience in working for the Domestic Violence and Abuse Service, providing advocacy and legal assistance to victims of abuse and with Criminal Law.
She provides seminars to providers of mental health services.