Position(s) Solicitor, Consultant
Area(s) of Practice Business Defence, Criminal Defence
Phone 07875 049 766
Michael is a specialist Criminal Law Solicitor dedicated to representing clients on a wide range of the most serious and complex cases, often involving multiple defendants, many of which have been reported in the national press over the years.
Due to his consistently accurate legal advice, he ensures the majority of investigations he is instructed to defend are discontinued. However, if his clients are charged, Michael will ensure the highest quality of representation where no stone is left unturned to seek an acquittal, or if guilty, that the minimum possible sentence is imposed by the court. As part of his meticulous preparation to present his client’s case, he will hand-pick specialist Counsel to provide the most formidable defence available.
This robust approach has led Michael to have an enviable track-record of acquittals in the following areas:
- Cyber Crime: Computer Misuse Act offences; Hacking; Malware & phishing offences; Spreading viruses, Identify theft; DDOS attacks & Botnets
- Assault: Grievous Bodily Harm and other associated offences
- Public Order Offences: Freedom of speech; protests; and riot & violent disorder
- Sexual Offences: Rape, voyeurism and outraging public decency
- Drugs: Possession; possession with intent to supply; and drugs importation conspiracies
- Fraud: White collar, identification & online
- Theft: Shop lifting, robbery and burglary
- People Trafficking
- Firearms Offences
- Money Laundering
Some notable cases:
- NCA v A 2018 - Operation Subtlety: Investigation and prosecution by the National Crime Agency into the alleged hacking and blackmail of Apple Inc by a member of the “Turkish Crime Family” regarding the compromise of 319,000,000 iCloud accounts in 2017. Widely reported in the international press. On going.
- R v A & Others 2018 - Operation Portroyal: 5 handed widely reported alleged gang related murder. Awaiting trial at the Old Bailey.
- R v P & Others 2018 - Operation Claw: 14 handed widely reported large scale alleged violent disorder that resulted in an attempted murder outside of Sugar Hut Club (as made famous by the TV show “The Only Way is Essex”). On going.
- R v A 2018: Attempted Murder after an incident involving a stabbing. Client successfully bailed. On going.
- R v W 2018 - Operation Herbose: Intelligence led sting in conjunction with the Counter Terrorism Firearms Team on a youth alleged to have been in possession of a firearm. Client successfully bailed. On going.
- R v P 2018 - Operation Bellona: Intelligence led operation into the alleged possession of hundreds of indecent images and videos. On going.
- R v P 2018: Elite close protection body guard accused of assault. On going.
- Police v F 2018 - Operation Neatcroft: Investigation of an alleged perverting the course of justice relating to a widely reported murder in 2017. No charges bought to date.
- Police v L 2018: Attempted murder. No further action taken by police.
- Police v K 2018: Alleged armed robbery. No further action taken by police.
- NCA v D 2017 - Operation Sugate: A National Crime Agency investigation into a conspiracy to facilitate the illegal entry into the UK (8 defendants). The authorities were alerted when a RHIB boat got into trouble off the Kent coast in 2016. This case was widely reported in the national press and involved cross boarder serious organised crime and resulted in a two month trial at the Old Bailey.
- R v W 2017 - Operation Hatria: Representing an alleged member of the “Lizard Squad” hacking group in a serious alleged possession of over 100,000 identities for the use in fraud and for possession of various data bases belonging to foreign governments and witness intimidation. Client received a non custodial sentence.
- Police v H 2017 - Operation Newes: A political candidate arrested for assisting offenders in relation to a widely reported murder in London. No further action taken by police.
- Police v A 2017: Alleged kidnap. No further action taken against police.
- Police v G 2017: Alleged conspiracy to supply class a drugs and possession of class a drugs. No further action taken by police.
- NCA v P 2017 - Operation Nasicorn: National Crime Agency prosecution into the breach and theft of 3’s data base. Successful defence of £500,000 Compensation Order.
- R v U 2017: A matter involving an AK47, M70 B1 assault rifle, Mac 10 sub machine gun and flash hider.
- Police v P 2017 - Operation (unknown): Large scale alleged international cyber fraud. No further action taken by police.
- R v D & Others 2017 - Operation Slade: Conspiracy (8 defendants) to supply class A drugs after a 6 month covert police operation. This case involved cross boarder serious organised crime.
- R v D & Others 2017 - Operation Newlodge: Perverting the Course of Justice linked to a widely reported murder in London. Client was acquitted after a two week trial at the Old Bailey whilst the other co defendants were imprisoned.
- Police v H 2017 - Operation Jetstream: Alleged corporate espionage involving serious Computer Misuse Act offences. No charges have been brought to date.
- R v C 2017: Alleged attempted murder by a music artist who featured on MTV and other media had his charges dropped pre trial after submissions to the Crown.
- R v H 2017: Possession of a firearm. Successfully arguing ‘exceptional circumstances’ to achieve a non custodial sentence.
- R v O 2017: Alleged fraudulent documentation. Case discontinued.
- Police v O 2017: £82,000 cheque fraud. No further action taken by police.
- Police v B 2017: Door supervisor accused of S18 GBH. No further action taken by police
- Police v P 2016: An allegation of historic sexual offences. No further action taken by police.
- Police v O 2016: Alleged rape. No further action taken by police.
- Police v X 2016: An allegation of a £750,000 fraud made by a company against a consultant. No further action taken by police.
- Police v S 2016: Alleged rape. No further action taken by police.
- R v Z 2016: Alleged people trafficking from Belgium. Client acquitted at trial.
- HMRC v S 2014: £145,000,000 money laundering. Client’s both bailed from the police station.
- Member of the Criminal Law Solicitors Association
- Member of The Law Society
- Member of the Interlaw Diversity Forum
- Member of the Asian Lawyers Association
"I would like to thank Michael Herford for his amazing help and support in dealing with my case. He did an amazing job for me and I have no doubt that the outcome of the case would have been totally different had we not used his services. I would have no hesitation in recommending Michael and Cartwright King solicitors to anyone." - Client testimonial, 25th September 2018
"Listened to the needs of the client and did a top service - couldn't get any better. Mike and the team cannot be faulted." - Client testimonial, 17th September 2018
“I can't thank you enough Mr Michael Herford for all you did for me, you worked so hard and gave the very best advice throughout my case. Michael was quick, efficient and knowledgeable as well as always being professional, easy to talk to, approachable and friendly. I felt like Michael had my best interests at heart rather than someone who was being dealt with just to bring in a fee. I will recommend him to other friends for any issues in the future." - Client testimonial, 4th September 2018
"One good turn deserves another! Really and truly, the service that I received from Cartwright King Solicitors and specifically mentioned here “Mr Michael Herford” was without any shred of the doubt the best, right through the processes, including the interview under caution on the “D” day. It was worthwhile working with Michael and also knowing that he is naturally intelligent and an accommodating young man. I would also like to reiterate that, since the world is obviously full of violence and injustices, the world too needs someone like Michael Herford because he is more than capable to make a difference in our mundane world as it was in my case. I will really and truly recommend Cartwright King Solicitors to any potential clients that are in dire need of a thoroughbred law firm." - Client testimonial, 31st August 2018
"Excellent service from start to finish. I would definitely recommend this service to everybody. Michael was excellent, thanks for all your help." - Client testimonial, 31st August 2018
"My solicitor Michael Herford provided me with an exceptional standard of professional support and help recently. He went above and beyond to ensure I receive the best possible outcome in my case. Michael really took the stress off me at this very difficult time. He advised and guided me through the whole process with empathy and compassion. All communication was clear and he always responded promptly to any concerns I had. Also kept me constantly updated which was very reassuring. Thanks to his expertise, patience and diligence we achieved a very positive outcome in my case. I am incredibly grateful to him and can honestly say I could not have asked for a better solicitor." - Client testimonial, 22nd April 2018
"From the first time I spoke with Michael Herford, he made me feel so at ease. He was extremely friendly and I had no issue with approaching him during the entire length of the process , he always made me feel that my case mattered and he was happy to help. Michael did a very good job communicating with me and explaining the details of the case and possible outcomes and always provided me with regular updates.He had so much patience and I never left a conversation feeling confused. Michael did his very best to be on top of things, even when the case took place over the Christmas and New year holidays. It was his priority to keep things moving and get the best result.I was extremely happy to have Michael and Cartwright King representing me and I would definitely recommend them as I was so happy with their service and got the result I wanted." - Client testimonial, 23rd February 2018
"My solicitor Michael Herford was excellent. He was very professional and accessible throughout the case and was very helpful and reassuring from the start at a very stressful time after allegations from my previous business partner. I am very glad that I chose to use Cartwright King's services and I am very pleased with the outcome. I would fully recommend their services and especially Michael, I could not have asked for a better solicitor to represent me." - Client testimonial, 20th February 2018
The service from Michael Herford was outstanding in every aspect.' - Client testimonial, November 2017
"From the very beginning to the end, my solicitor Michael Herford has been very professional, understanding, hardworking and helpful. He has gone extra miles to make our case stand out. His support has been very useful in our difficult period and we knew that we could count on him." - Client testimonial, November 2017
"My solicitor was Michael Herford. I felt he went above and beyond. He is a brilliant solicitor who is very good at what he does. I must say, I've been very happy with the services provided by Cartwright King Solicitors." - Client testimonial, November 2017
"Michael Herford- Top solicitor!" - Client testimonial, October 2017
"Very, very happy with the service. Easy access to a Solicitor. Swift response and advice to any query or concerns I may have. Able to contact Michael when needed with any concerns I may have. Would definitely recommend to family and friends who are in need of a solicitor. Would gladly use Cartwright King Solicitors again without any hesitation on my part." - Client testimonial, October 2017
"Thank you so much Michael. You've more than exceeded my expectations, I really appreciate all your time and effort in fighting for me. I can say that Michael was the only one that listened to me when no one cared about my situation. I have no hesitation in recommending Michael and Cartwright King Solicitors." - Client Testimonial, September 2017
"Highly committed, reliable and on top of that a perfectionist on giving legal advice! Thank you Micheal for your service." - Client Testimonial, June 2017
"Top solicitor- very on the ball - felt in safe hands - excellent company." - Client Testimonial, April 2017
"Michael Herford made me feel so comfortable from our first chat over the phone and when we met in person I knew I had made the right decision. On the day of the court Michael proved my innocence and I was found not guilty, all charges were dropped and justice happened. In my opinion Michael Herford was my angel, who helped the truth to come out." - Client Testimonial, March 2017