Position(s) Director, Solicitor
Area(s) of Practice Criminal Defence
Phone 01204 531118
Mike Garstang is a director at Cartwright King and one of the most experienced and charismatic criminal lawyers in the UK.
Mike is a peerless advocate with unsurpassed experience of Serious and General Crime. He has been involved in countless high-profile cases including defending over 60 murders in his career and has an outstanding reputation as a defence practitioner.
Mike has acted in a wide variety of serious criminal matters including cases involving Murder, Terrorism, Robbery, Kidnapping, Firearms, People Trafficking, Supply and Importation of controlled drugs, Corruption, Tax Evasion, Money Laundering, Excise Diversion and Fraud. He also regularly acts in Inquests and cases involving Professional Misconduct and has extensive experience of Road Traffic matters. Other specialisms include Education Appeals and Confiscations under POCA 2002.
Mike has a well-deserved reputation for being the lawyer to whom other lawyers turn when they are in trouble but it is his passion for defending the underdog coupled with his matchless abilities as an advocate that have made him one of the most sought after practitioners in his field.
Mike has been involved in countless high-level criminal cases over the last three decades including successfully defending the former head of Special Branch (GMP) in relation to the allegations of misconduct in a public office surrounding the bombing of Manchester by the IRA; acting in the biggest ever street robbery, involving £270m of bearer bonds; successfully defending one of the suspects alleged to have been involved in the bombing of Glasgow Airport in 2007 and most recently, successfully acting for a high-profile solicitor accused of attempting to pervert the course of justice.
"A sophisticated approach to preparation and client care"
Recommended Lawyer in Legal 500 2015
• R v Gordon Mutch – DCI of Special Branch (Head of Irish Desk and SIO) accused of Misconduct in a Public Office relating to the Manchester bombing.
• £270 million Bearer Bond Robbery – Reputedly the biggest ever street robbery.
• Operation Greengage – Complex 25 handed conspiracy to bring Class A drugs and firearms into the UK from continental Europe and South America.
• Successfully defending nationally renowned Solicitor accused of attempting to Pervert the Course of Justice.
• Operation Bracco - Defending alleged Al Qaeda fundraisers accused of financing terrorist cells.
• Successfully defended suspect alleged to have been involved in the attempted bombing of Glasgow Airport in 2007.
• Operation Contact - Cash for Crash Insurance Scam.
• Operation Vivace - Represented client charged in connection with failed suicide bombing attacks on the London Underground two weeks after the July 7 bombings.