Director and Head of Fraud & Tax defence at Cartwright King.
Experienced in a wide variety of Fraud, Regulatory & Proceeds of Crime Act cases.
Over 18 years experience defending nationally in all types of high profile, complex criminal and serious fraud cases. This includes bribery and corruption, tax disputes and investigations, dawn raids, directors duties, competition and cartels, FCA regulation, challenging search and seizure warrants, corporate advisory and investigations, DPA’s, money-laundering, cyber crime, extradition
Specialist in Proceeds of Crime Act matters including civil recovery (Account/Asset Freezing Orders, Unexplained Wealth Orders, Cash Seizures), Confiscation, Restraint/Freezing orders.
Sundeep won 'Solicitor of the Year' at the Nottingham Law Society Awards 2019, was shortlisted for the National Law Society Excellence Awards 2019 – solicitor in private practice and Legal 500 Awards 2019
Sundeep is ranked highly in both Legal 500 and Chambers and partners guides
Summary of notable cases undertaken
Recent Notable cases:
- POCA Account Freezing Orders – recently instructed on 4 cases involving c£500,000. Clients range from company directors to overseas students (funds originating from Burma and Russia)
- Supervising SFO prosecution : allegation of fraud ( £400m) related to the selling, development and management of off plan, offshore investment property.
- Company director charged tax offences relating to VAT and Corporation Tax in the sum of £130,000.00. Client acquitted
- Large national trading standards investigation into unlawful practices
- SFO Investigations: currently advising in 5 high profile multi million pound SFO led investigations, most relating to bribery and corruption involving large national and international companies.
- Represented a UK based national in contested Extradition proceedings to Sweden . Allegations related to an alleged involvement in an international pensions fraud. The fraud was investigated by the Swedish Economic Crime Authority (SECA) after allegations that a foreign asset management company defrauded (80 million Euros) 22,000 Swedish pension investors. Client acquitted.
- £245m HBOS Conspiracy to Corrupt . Representing a former manager of the HBOS high risk team.
- Representing a former Director of a civil engineering company who is being investigated for a £3.5m fraud and bribery allegation. The complainant is utility provider E-ON.
- Investigation into a breach of Export Control Order 2008 relating to the promotion and supply of military goods to non EU sanctioned countries. Linked cash seizure
- £2m tax investigation into a large business which owns 12 restaurants on the south coast
- Represented a suspect who is part of a group alleged to have laundered more than £11 million stolen using the Dridex and Dyre streams of malicious software (malware) – no further action taken
- £9.2m collective investment scheme fraud investigation involving overseas assets
Other department cases:
- Tax investigations linked to the Paradise Papers leak
- Representing former MD of a steel company under investigation by the SFO
- SFO investigation into Axiom Legal Financing Funds
- NCA investigation into international money laundering centring on the ForEx industry
- HMRC prosecution in relation to an allegation of conspiracy to defraud the public revenue. Middle East based client, fraudulent reclaim of tax in the sum of £29 million.
- Acting for the company and directors of a recruitment company in one of the largest Pension Regulator investigations and prosecutions to date, specifically with respect of the compulsory pension registration scheme.
- Acting for a stock broker alleged to have defrauded circa £9m on the US markets
- Represent the lead defendant in the SFO’s prosecutions arising from the alleged manipulation of the London Interbank Offered (LIBOR) benchmark interest rate
- Defending a Dubai based financial advisor currently under investigation in connection with his suggested role in an alleged high value pension liberation fraud.
- Securing the acquittal of a former UKIP MEP charged with Misconduct in Public office and Money Laundering arising from an alleged expenses fraud.
Recognised as a 'leading individual' in the Legal 500 UK for the last 3 years.
2020 “Cartwright King undertakes the full spectrum of fraud and asset forfeiture cases on both the domestic and international fronts. Practice head Sundeep Soor is highly recommended”
Sundeep has also been previously described as:
"technically able" with "terrific client care" for white collar crime.
"deep experience in defending serious fraud cases and an extremely good knowledge of the sector"
"never leaves a stone unturned in seeking out what is best for the client"
Chambers and Partners 2020 publication Sundeep has been deemed a “recognised practitioner” in Financial crime
Member of the Fraud Lawyers Association
Member of the Proceeds of Crime Lawyers Association
Member of Defence Extradition lawyers forum
Committee Member of the Midlands Asian Lawyers Association.
BEIS & Commercial, Business Defence, Environment & Planning, Extradition, Fraud, Health & Safety, HMRC, Office of Fair Trading, Proceeds of Crime Act, Professional Discipline and Trading Standards & Agencies