Job Title: Court of Protection Solicitor
Reporting to: Head of Court of Protection
Department: Court of Protection
- You will form an important part of our Court of Protection team, dealing with all legal aspects of health and welfare cases
- Managing a Court of Protection caseload including matters relating to community care
- Dealing with challenges relating to Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards
- Assisting in making applications to the Court of Protection and Legal Aid Agency
- Ensuring the Court of Protection team provides a first class service
- Manager/customer satisfaction
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure to meeting deadlines
- Running your own caseload with limited supervision
- Quality of work drafted and completed
- Time recording target
- Costs/fees target
- Covering all aspects of Court of Protection work, you will provide technical expertise and guidance to team members and external clients
- Varied duties including dealing with a range of Court of Protection work including: Advising on community care assessments, access to specialist medical treatment including life saving treatment, end of life decisions, Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards, , issues of abuse of incapacitated and vulnerable adults,
Independently managing your own casework, liaising with clients, providing advice over the phone, by email and other mediums.
Analysing large volumes of legal information at speed and with a high level of accuracy.
Working to strict deadlines, logically and methodically with a meticulous eye for detail.
Liaising with local authorities, police forces, healthcare providers, expert witnesses, financial institutions and other interested parties.
Taking a professional a proactive approach to work, with strong client care focus.
Dealing with vulnerable clients in a sensitive manner to resolve complicated matters surrounding the care of vulnerable parties.
Preparing draft documents including witness statements and processing evidence.
Preparing documents to meet Court of Protection requirements (including drafting application forms, index of documents and letters of representation.
Managing a varied general Court of Protection caseload relating to health and welfare cases.
Attending conferences and Court.
Business development and marketing to support the substantial work volumes brought in by the Firm.
Demonstrating excellent networking and communication skills with the ability to promote the Firm to generate new business.
Ability to apply the law with a degree of commerciality.
Prepared to give your viewpoint to clients in a jargon-free manner.
Health and Safety:
Complying with the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974.
Taking responsibility for their own health and safety and that of others.
Equality and Diversity:
Carrying out responsibilities in line with our Equal Opportunities Policy and Procedure and Equality & Diversity Policy.
Maintaining confidentiality of information relating to clients, colleagues and other third parties in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and GDPR, including outside of the work environment.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Experience of working in a multi-site, fast-paced legal business in a Court of Protection Solicitor role, ideally working across health and welfare cases
- A working knowledge of Court of Protection best practice and a good understanding deputyship is required
- Experience in own advocacy is an advantage but not essential
- Experience of judicial review work and representation in the Court of Protection is essential
- Able to o progress full caseloads of Community Care and Court of Protection related matters through to completion
- Demonstrates a positive, friendly, flexible, and capable manner, and can build relationships quickly
- Works ethically and sensitively to support vulnerable individuals through Court of Protection processes
- Has strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Has excellent time management, organisational and computer skills including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint as well as document management systems
- Strong customer facing and good influencing skills, able to deal with queries both verbally and in written format, in a jargon-free manner
- Some experience of supporting colleagues i.e. Paralegals in a development capacity would be an advantage
- Works to ambitious targets with stretching KPI’s
- Must be a Court of Protection Solicitor with at least 3 years’ PQE
- Registered with the Law Society
- Ideally Mental Capacity (Welfare) Accredited as an Accredited Legal Representative
- Ideally a Legal Aid Supervisor
- Membership of CoPPA
- Must have clean, valid Practicing Certificate at time of application
- Advocacy experience is advantageous but not essential
Would suit someone who:
- Specialised in Court of Protection work, with an appreciation of legal practice areas that inter-relate
- Has trained and dealt with Court of Protection and Community Care matters
- Has an existing knowledge of Legal Aid - highly desirable
- Can work with little guidance
- Is a committed team player with the ability to approach team concerns fairly, fostering a culture of positive change
- Encourages cross-referrals and seeks collaboration before competition
- Has been in a Court of Protection Solicitor role elsewhere and is keen to bring their experience in a growing and ambitious team
- Is humble and sensitive with clients and able to deal with complex and emotionally challenging cases
- Is used to being busy and can manage a fast pace
- Is creative, and sees opportunities to do things better – will apply continuous improvement principles
- Wants to grow the business through networking and other business development activities
- Is keen to develop themselves with support from the Firm i.e. putting themselves forward for appropriate legal awards/recognition
- Will retain appropriate Accreditation to serve their clients and keeps up to date with legal updates
- Is genuinely passionate about Court of Protection cases and delivering a first class legal service
- Is emotionally intelligent and can handle the ups and downs of working in Court of Protection
If you meet the required skills and experience and would like to apply for the role, please email your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with reference to the job role in the subject of the email.