Job Title: Court of Protection Solicitor (Health and Welfare)
Reporting to: Head of Court of Protection
Department: Court of Protection
PQE: Minimum 3 years
- You will form an important part of our Court of Protection team, dealing with all legal aspects of health and welfare cases
- Managing a Court of Protection caseload including matters relating to community care
- Dealing with challenges relating to Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards
- Assisting in making applications to the Court of Protection and Legal Aid Agency
- Ensuring the Court of Protection team provides a first class service
- Manager/customer satisfaction
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure to meeting deadlines
- Running your own caseload with limited supervision
- Quality of work drafted and completed
- Time recording target
- Costs/fees target
- Covering all aspects of Court of Protection work, you will provide technical expertise and guidance to team members and external clients
- Varied duties including dealing with a range of Court of Protection work including:
- ability to case manage both s21A and s16 Court of Protection proceedings from start to conclusion;
- significant experience in dealing and communicating with vulnerable clients;
- experience in advising in respect of associated community care issues both as standalone matters and ancillary to Court of Protection proceedings;
- experience of acting in end of life and serious medical treatment cases would be advantageous;
- experience and ability to appropriately manage all associated aspects of Court of Protection case management including but not limited to Legal Aid, private funding and compliance.
- Legal Aid supervisor status is not essential but would be advantageous.
- Ability and experience of working independently and self-generating work is important. An ability to identify the need for and seek supervision appropriately is essential. This role offers supported autonomy.
Independently managing your own casework, liaising with clients, providing advice over the phone, by email and other forms of correspondence.
Analysing large volumes of legal information at speed and with a high level of accuracy
Working to strict deadlines, logically and methodically with a meticulous eye for detail
Liaising with statutory bodies, expert witnesses, financial institutions and other interested parties.
Taking a professional and proactive approach to work, with strong client care focus.
Preparing draft documents including court applications both initial and interim to include all supporting documentation, witness evidence, legal aid documentation, orders, instructions to counsel, instructions to experts (statutory and independent), advices, detailed correspondence as required. Being able to adapt your drafting style and tenor to the recipient.
Managing a varied general Court of Protection and community care caseload relating to health and welfare cases
Attending conferences and Court. Undertaking advocacy is not excluded.
Business development and marketing to support the substantial work volumes brought in by the Firm. This will include independently developing work referral networks.
Demonstrating excellent networking and communication skills with the ability to promote the Firm to generate new business.
Ability to apply the law with a degree of commerciality
Health and Safety:
Complying with the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974.
Taking responsibility for their own health and safety and that of others
Equality and Diversity:
Carrying out responsibilities in line with our Equal Opportunities Policy and Procedure and Equality & Diversity Policy
Maintaining confidentiality of information relating to clients, colleagues and other third parties in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and GDPR, including outside of the work environment.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- A strong knowledge of all relevant legal frameworks pertaining to health, welfare and community care matters.
- Experience in own advocacy is an advantage but not essential
- Demonstrates a positive, friendly, flexible, and capable manner, and can build relationships quickly
- Works ethically and sensitively to support vulnerable individuals through Court of Protection processes
- Has strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Has excellent time management, organisational and computer skills including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint as well as document management systems
- Strong customer facing and good influencing skills, able to deal with queries both verbally and in written format, in a jargon-free manner
- Experience of supporting colleagues and working collaboratively i.e. Paralegals in a development capacity would be an advantage
- Strong team work ethic
- Experience of working towards financial and time recording targets.
- Must be a Court of Protection Solicitor with at least 3 years’ PQE
- Must have clean, valid Practicing Certificate at time of application
- Legal Aid Supervisor status for community care is advantageous
- Mental Capacity (Welfare) Accreditation is advantageous
- Advocacy experience is advantageous but not essential
Would suit someone who:
- Specialised in Court of Protection work, with an appreciation of legal practice areas that inter-relate
- Has trained and dealt with Court of Protection and Community Care matters
- Is genuinely passionate about Court of Protection cases and delivering a first class legal service
- Has an existing knowledge of Legal Aid – essential
- Can work with little guidance
- Encourages cross-referrals and seeks collaboration before competition
- Has been in a Court of Protection Solicitor role elsewhere and is keen to bring their experience in a growing and ambitious team
- Is able to deal with complex and emotionally challenging cases
- Is used to being busy and can manage a fast pace
- Wants to grow the business through networking and other business development activities
- Will retain appropriate Accreditation to serve their clients and keeps up to date with legal updates
If you meet the required skills and experience and would like to apply for the role, please email your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with reference to the job role in the subject of the email.