Job Title: Family Law Solicitor
Reporting to: Head of Family Law
- You will form an important part of our Family Law team, dealing with all aspects of family law to include: divorce, financial remedy, cohabitation, pre- and post-nuptial agreements and private child arrangement matters.
- Advising clients on current legislation and their rights with sensitivity.
- Making applications to the Legal Aid Agency and managing legal administration for the case.
- Providing overall exceptional client service
- Manager/ client satisfaction
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure to meeting deadlines
- Running your own caseload with limited supervision
- Quality of work drafted and completed
- Time recording target
- Costs/fees target
- Covering all aspects of Family Law work, you will provide technical expertise and guidance to clients with an emphasis on exceptional service
- Varied duties across a range of Family Law cases comprising initial consultation and advice, divorce, financial remedy and consent orders, contested financial remedy proceedings, international and ex-pat divorces, divorces involving high net worth individuals (including the allocation of property or properties), business matters, family trusts, inherited assets and pensions.
- On children’s matters, you are expected to manage cases involving all aspects of child arrangements, Prohibited Steps Orders and, Specific Issue Orders. On injunctive issues, you must be able to manage non-molestation and occupation order applications. Other work includes pre- and post-nuptial Agreements, pre- and post-civil partnership Agreements, cohabitation agreements, separation Agreements, dissolution of civil partnerships, judicial separation, parental responsibility Agreements and change of name deeds.
Independently managing your own casework with self-sufficiency, liaising with clients in a timely and professional manner, providing advice by any means required, and progressing each case as appropriate. Building rapport with a variety of professionals including courts, local authorities, social services, police forces, financial institutions, care providers and other third parties
Taking a professional a proactive approach to work, with a strong client-care focus
Dealing with vulnerable clients, sensitively, to resolve complicated matters surrounding Family Law matters
Preparing a variety of family law documents including application forms, witness statements (on the basis of processing evidence), court forms and bundles. Day to day communications such as letters and emails etc. to progress each case.
Managing a varied general Family Law caseload relating to a broad range of divorce, financial remedy, separation, cohabitation, child arrangement, and injunctive matters.
Advocacy skills are required in terms of representation for all family law matters at direction level hearings and possibly further.
An interest in business development and marketing to support the growth of the department and wider Firm.
Demonstrating excellent networking and communication skills with the ability to promote the Firm to generate new business
Ability to practice with commerciality in terms of both targets and business development.
Health and Safety:
Complying with the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974.
Taking responsibility for your own health and safety and that of others
Equality and Diversity:
Carrying out responsibilities in line with our Equal Opportunities Policy and Procedure and Equality & Diversity Policy
Maintaining confidentiality of information relating to clients, colleagues and other third parties in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and GDPR, including outside of the work environment.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Experience of working in a multi-site, fast-paced legal business in a Family Law Solicitor role, ideally working across a broad range of divorce, financial remedy, separation, cohabitation, and child arrangement cases
- Has a working knowledge of Family Law best practice and a good understanding of other practice areas that may cross over
- You will be keen to grow your business development capabilities
- Experience in advocacy is an advantage
- Able to progress full caseloads of Family Law related matters through to completion with little support
- Demonstrates a positive, friendly, flexible, and capable manner, and can build relationships quickly
- Works ethically and sensitively to support vulnerable individuals through Family Law processes
- Has strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Has excellent time management, organisational and computer skills including Word, Excel, as well as document management systems
- Is familiar with a case management system
- Strong customer-facing and good influencing skills, able to deal with queries both verbally and in written format, in a jargon-free manner
- Provides a high level of service with existing clients to secure repeat business
- Stays up-to-date with the latest relevant legislation, policy changes and changes in the Law
- Remains efficient and productive under pressure
- Works to ambitious targets with stretching KPI’s and complies and delivers within set deadlines
- You will be a Family Law Solicitor with around 5 years PQE (there is no upper limit regarding the amount of experience and applications are invited from even the most experienced candidates)
- Registered with the Law Society
- Ideally, you will be keen to develop professionally, within Family Law, to become Family Law Accredited, Family Law Advanced Accredited in due course
- Must have clean, valid Practicing Certificate at the time of application
Would suit someone who:
- Is specialised in Family Law work, with an appreciation of legal practice areas that inter-relate, e.g. Child Care
- Has trained and dealt with Family Law matters including divorce, separation and child arrangement cases
- Has an existing knowledge of Legal Aid - highly desirable
- Can work with little guidance, but recognise when to ask for help
- Is a committed team player who fosters a culture of positive change
- Encourages cross-referrals and seeks collaboration before competition
- Has been in a Family Law Solicitor role elsewhere and is keen to bring their experience in a growing and ambitious team
- Is humble and sensitive with clients and able to deal with complex and emotionally challenging cases
- Is used to being busy and can manage a fast-paced environment
- Is creative, and sees opportunities to do things better – will apply continuous improvement principles
- Wants to grow the business through networking and other business development activities
- Is keen to develop themselves with support from the Firm, i.e. putting themselves forward for appropriate legal awards/recognition
- Will push themselves to gain appropriate Accreditation to serve their clients and keeps up to date with legal updates
- Is genuinely passionate about Family Law cases and delivering a first-class legal service
- Is emotionally intelligent and can handle the ups and downs of working in Family Law
If you meet the required skills and experience and would like to apply for the role, please email your cover letter and CV to email@example.com with reference to the job role in the subject of the email.