Damp and Mould in Social Housing

Damp and Mould in Social Housing

Damp and Mould in Social Housing

Damp and mould are more than just unsightly; they can have serious health implications and worsen pre-existing conditions such as allergies and asthma. If your landlord has failed to address damp or mould in your social housing, our team of housing solicitors can provide you with assistance.

If you reside in social housing and have been affected by damp and mould issues that are impacting your health, we can assist you in filing a housing disrepair claim. Our first step will involve sending an expert to your home to assess the severity of the mould and damp problem. If we determine that your home has an unsafe level of damp and mould, we can assist you in making a claim.

With Cartwright King, you have the option to file a claim for necessary repairs to be completed, in addition to seeking compensation for any suffering and losses you may have endured due to the presence of dampness and mould in your home.

No Win, No Fee Legal Expertise

If your home is affected by mould and damp and your social landlord has failed to address the problem, our solicitors can help you seek a solution.

Our solicitors can help you understand your situation and ensure that your rented home’s damp and mould problems are resolved correctly.

Our team will investigate your case and determine if you are entitled to compensation for any damages caused by the dampness and mould in your home. This could include health problems such as asthma or damage to your furniture due to the presence of black mould.

As a tenant, you have the right to live in a safe home, and we are here to assist you in making a claim to ensure that all disrepair, mould, and damp issues are resolved. Our goal is to help you live comfortably in your home without worrying about any health issues caused by damp and mould.

Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us to determine if you are owed compensation for mould and damp. We’re here to help you through the process.

The Law on Damp and Mould in Social Housing

Damp and mould in a property can lead to serious health problems and exacerbate pre-existing conditions. Therefore, it is crucial to address the underlying causes of these issues promptly.

In the UK, tenants and landlords are protected by two key laws: The Landlord and Tenant Act of 1985 and The Housing Act of 2004. These laws stipulate that landlords are responsible for the maintenance and repair of structural and exterior damage. If the damp and mould are caused by structural defects, your landlord is legally obligated to carry out the necessary repairs.

Based on our extensive experience handling housing disrepair claims related to damp and mould, we understand that the root cause of these issues often lies with the council or social housing landlord, rather than the tenant.

If your landlord is responsible for the damp and mould in your property, but has failed to take action to repair it, our team can assist you. We will work with you to assess the situation and determine the appropriate legal steps to take. Our goal is to ensure that your landlord fulfills their legal obligations and that you are able to live in a safe, healthy environment without having to worry about the negative impact of damp and mould on your health.

Your Housing Disrepair Rights Regarding Damp and Mould

Landlord’s Damp and Mould Responsibilities:

Landlords have a legal obligation to ensure that their properties are fit for habitation and maintained to a certain standard. This includes repairing and maintaining certain aspects of the property. As a tenant, it’s important to know what your landlord is responsible for. Here are some common repairs that are typically the responsibility of the landlord:

  • Repairs to the structure and exterior of the property, including walls, floors, window frames, drains, and pipes.
  • Repairs to water pipes, gas pipes, and electrical systems.
  • Repairs to basins, sinks, baths, and toilets.
  • Repairs to fixed heaters and water heaters.

In many cases, we have seen that mould and damp in rented properties are often the result of disrepair, particularly black mould, and can be worsened by the landlord’s failure to make repairs in a timely manner. If you are a tenant of social or council housing, we can help you with your housing disrepair claim to ensure that your landlord fulfills their legal obligation to maintain a safe and habitable living space.

Tenant’s Damp and Mould Responsibilities

As a tenant, it’s crucial to understand what you are responsible for when it comes to preventing damp and mould issues in your rented property. Good ventilation is key to avoiding the growth and spread of mould, including black mould. As a result, it’s your responsibility to ensure that the property is well-ventilated at all times. If the mould or damp has developed due to your negligence in this regard, we may not be able to help you make a claim against your landlord.

However, if the mould or damp has developed as a result of other disrepair issues that aren’t your fault, our surveyor can identify this and we could help you make a claim. If the damp or mould is mainly due to how you treat the property, there are a few steps you can take to prevent it. These include:

  • Keeping your house sufficiently heated to prevent walls from getting too cold
  • Drying washing and towels outside when possible
  • Opening your bathroom window after showering or bathing and ventilating all other areas in the house for at least 15 minutes each day
  • Keeping your kitchen fan on while cooking
  • Keeping large appliances and furniture an inch away from the walls to prevent tight spots that could accumulate damp and cause mould without being noticed
  • Using mould cleaner to remove any mould immediately if it occurs

However, it’s important to note that mould and damp issues could also result from your landlord’s failure to fix other problems such as structural defects. Even if your landlord is at fault, carrying out the above steps can help prevent further issues from developing. If you’re suffering from health issues such as asthma as a result of disrepair, we can help.

Types of Damp and Mould in Social Housing

Rising Damp

In older houses, rising dampness can occur due to groundwater permeating through the walls and floors.

It’s quite easy to identify as it causes evident damp marks on the walls that travel upwards. This leads to peeling wallpaper, flaking paint, and darker, dirty-looking edges of carpets.

Re-plastering the affected area is not enough to fix walls that are impacted by rising damp. Rising damp typically contains salts that can harm the wall from the inside, necessitating repairs to the wall before any cosmetic work can be done.

If your property has rising damp, your landlord must take steps to prevent the damp from reoccurring, and only then should they proceed with re-plastering and redecorating the impacted areas.

Black Mould

If black mould is growing in your home, it is crucial to take extra care as the spores contain harmful toxins that pose a significant risk to your health after prolonged exposure. Long-term exposure to these toxins can create or worsen breathing problems, infections, and allergies, particularly for children living in the property.

Black mould is a type of fungus that appears black and spreads across materials like paint, wallpaper, and plaster. It also causes a damp, earthy, or musty smell, which you may notice before seeing the mould itself.

Excessive moisture and poor ventilation in a property are the primary causes of black mould. It is essential to have enough air circulating in every room of your home to prevent it. Excessive moisture is usually caused by condensation, which can result from everyday living. Steam from cooking and showering can cause condensation, as well as water leaks and structural defects in your home.

Penetrating Damp

Penetrating damp is a common type of damp found in rented properties. It occurs when rainwater seeps through the building’s masonry, causing problems both inside and outside of the property.

Although older buildings are more susceptible to it, any house or flat can be affected by penetrating damp. It is easily identifiable, with visible signs such as damp patches, moss growth, or even damage to the masonry on the exterior of the property.

Inside, the effects of penetrating damp can be seen in the form of mould, blistering plaster, and rotting floorboards. While mould caused by penetrating damp may not always be visible, the musty odor it produces is a clear indicator.

You Have a Right to Live in Damp and Mould Free Social Housing

Ensuring the Safety of Your Rented Property

As a tenant, it’s your right to reside in a reasonably maintained property that is safe to live in. Therefore, it’s the responsibility of your social landlord to maintain the rental property and ensure that it meets safety standards.

Damp and mould problems affect approximately 37% of rented properties in the UK. If you’re living in social or council housing and have encountered issues with mould or damp, we can assist you in obtaining the necessary repairs. In many of the cases we handle, tenants are also granted compensation for the health problems caused by mould and damp.

If your rented property has severe damp or mould issues, it may not be safe to live in, as these problems can have severe health consequences. It’s your landlord’s responsibility to ensure your safety. If they have failed in this duty, contact us, and we’ll send our expert to assess your property. They will document all the health and safety concerns, and we can help you initiate your claim.

Legal Support with Damp and Mould Issues in Social Housing

To begin, it’s important to understand your legal rights. Our housing disrepair solicitors are available to assist you in assessing your case and taking control of your situation. If you have suffered damages to your property or health, we can also help you pursue compensation.

All of our expert housing disrepair services are provided on a no-win, no-fee basis, so you don’t need to worry about any financial risks associated with making a claim.

Our goal is to assist you in getting the necessary repairs completed in your rented property and to help you receive the compensation you deserve, allowing you to live comfortably in your social housing property.

We're here for you.

Frequently asked questions.

Can I Claim Compensation for Damp and Mould in My Social Housing?

If you reside in social housing and your landlord has neglected to address damp and/or mould issues in your home, then you are likely eligible to file a claim for compensation. Our solicitors can assist you in evaluating the problems in your home by sending an expert to assess them before initiating your claim, to ensure that you receive the compensation and repairs you require.

Can Mould Make Me Sick?

Living in a damp and mouldy environment can lead to serious health issues for people of all ages. Respiratory problems are particularly common for those who are regularly exposed to such conditions, and we have seen many cases where clients have developed asthma while living in such homes.

Everyone deserves to live in a safe and healthy environment, free from the risk of illness. If you or a family member are suffering from a respiratory condition caused by damp and mould, don’t hesitate to contact us. Our housing disrepair team will work with respiratory disease specialists to assess your situation and help you get the necessary repairs, as well as the compensation you deserve for your illness.

Is it Free to Make a Claim as a Social Housing Tenant?

We offer a no win, no fee service for all of our housing disrepair cases, so you can proceed with a claim without financial worries.

At our firm, we strongly believe that everyone deserves to live in a safe and healthy home without the presence of structural damage, mould, and damp. If you are living in substandard conditions in a social housing property, we are here to help you. You can contact us at 0800 999 2220 or submit a request for us to get in touch with you.