Skilled Worker – Dependent Visa

Tier 2 Visa
Legally reviewed by: Sherena Lawrence

Skilled Worker – Dependent Visa Applications

With a skilled worker dependant visa, you can join your partner or your parent in the UK as their dependant. Our immigration solicitors are here to assist you through your application, ensuring the best chance of a successful outcome.

Our solicitors can help you apply for your dependent visa or help you and your partner apply for your visas at the same time if:

  • Your partner or parent is a skilled worker visa holder, currently living and working in the UK.
  • Your partner or parent will be arriving shortly once they have secured their own skilled worker visa.

As a skilled worker dependent, you will be able to live, work and study in the UK for the same duration as the main skilled worker visa applicant.

Applying for a Dependant Visa

You can apply for a skilled worker dependent visa both from inside the UK and overseas. You can apply from inside the UK if, at the date of application, you hold a visa for routes other than:

  • Visitor
  • Short-term student
  • Parent of a child student
  • Seasonal worker
  • Domestic worker in a private household
  • Outside the immigration rules.

If you are in the UK on one of the above visa categories, you would be expected to leave the UK and apply for entry clearance as a skilled worker dependent.

Applying for a skilled worker dependent visa can be very complex, as you must meet a number of requirements, as well as provide proof of your relationship to the main applicant.

Dependent Visa Requirements

For Adults Applying:

As an adult, you can apply for a dependent visa if the main visa holder is your spouse, your civil partner, your unmarried partner or your same-sex partner.

If you are not married, then you will need to provide evidence that you have lived with your partner for at least two years before the date of application.

You will need to provide evidence of your relationship when you apply. Our team of solicitors will assure you have all the correct documentation required before you begin your application.

For Your Child’s Application:

You can apply for a dependant visa for your child if:

  • your child is under 18 – including if they were born in the UK during your stay
  • your child is over 18 if they’re currently in the UK as your dependant

If your child is 16 or over, they must not be living an independent life. An example of this would be living with the skilled worker visa holder unless they’re in full-time boarding, university, or college. Additionally, your child must not be married and have any children of their own and must be financially supported by you.

Your child’s other parent will also need to apply at the same time unless they already have permission to remain in the UK on a different visa category (excluding visitor visas). There are exceptions to this in limited circumstances:

  • The skilled worker visa holder is the only surviving parent
  • The skilled worker has sole responsibility
  • The other parent is British or settled
  • There are serious and compelling circumstances that would make exclusion undesirable.

The skilled worker dependant visa can be applied for at the same time or after the standard skilled worker visa is applied for. However, you cannot apply or arrive in the UK before the skilled worker visa holder does.

You will need to provide evidence of both your relationship and your child’s address when you apply. Our team of solicitors will assure you have all the correct documentation required before you begin your application.

Maintenance Requirements

As a dependent visa holder, you will have to support yourself for the duration of your stay in the UK. You will not have access to public funds. You must meet the minimum financial requirements as part of your visa application.

English Language Requirements

There are currently no English language requirements for skilled worker dependants.

Start Your Dependent Visa Application

Our immigration solicitors have successfully helped many clients with both their skilled worker and skilled worker dependent visa applications. With our expert immigration solicitors by your side, you can apply for your visa with confidence.

As part of our range of services, we offer initial 30-minute consultations, full application support and visa application checking services for those who choose to manage their application themselves.

To find out how we can help with your dependent visa application, get in touch today.

We're here for you.