Tier 4 Dependent Visa

Tier 4 Dependent Visa
Legally reviewed by: Sherena Lawrence

Applying for a Tier 4 Dependent Visa

If your spouse, civil partner or parent is applying for a Tier 4 visa you can apply for your own Tier 4 dependent visa at the same time. Our solicitors can guide you through the whole process, and help take a lot of the worry out of your move.

All the Help You Need

At Cartwright King Solicitors we hold a 100 per cent success rate for points-based visa applications. This is down to the exceptional service and support our solicitors provide.

If you want to find out if you are eligible for a Tier 4 dependent visa, get in touch today. We are here to support you throughout the application process to give you the best possible chance of success.

General Requirements

As a general rule, dependents need to meet the following requirements to qualify for a Tier 4 dependent visa:

  • You need to be able to prove your relationship with the applicant. This is true for both child and adult dependents
  • You need to provide evidence that the main applicant has enough funds or income to support you, or that you can support yourself, without access to public funds

Applying for a Tier 4 Dependent Visa

To be eligible for a Tier 4 dependent visa as a dependent child you need to be under 18 and financially and emotionally dependent upon the main applicant. You can’t apply for this visa if you are married, living away from home or working full time.

If you are applying as a dependent child, both your parents need to be lawfully present in the UK at the time. They cannot be here on a visitor visa.

If they are applying for visas at the same time as your parents, they need to be granted entry clearance at the same time as you.

If one of your parents is already in the UK, and the other is applying to join them you both need to apply at the same time and gain your clearance together. Children cannot be granted entry clearance before the second parent.

If you have only one surviving parent, or if you were brought up by only one parent, you can apply to join your parent in the UK (as long as they are here legally) or alongside them for entry clearance at the same time.

Other Requirements

Biometric residence permits

One of the requirements for a Tier 4 dependent visa is that you obtain a biometric residence permit. To do this you simply need to visit a visa application centre. They will take your fingerprints and photograph, then issue you with the permit to share with the Home Office.

Criminal record certificates

Since the 6th of April 2017, adult partners of points-based-system migrants may need to provide criminal record certificates. If this applies to you, you’ll need to present one for each country you have been present in for a period longer than one year over the last ten years.

This isn’t necessary for certain occupations, however, namely:

  • Public health managers
  • Nurses
  • Midwifes
  • Psychologists
  • Pharmacists
  • Ophthalmic opticians
  • Dental practitioners
  • Medical radiographers
  • Podiatrists
  • Physiotherapists
  • Occupational therapists
  • Speech and language therapists
  • Teaching professionals
  • Education advisers
  • School inspectors
  • Social services managers and directors
  • Social workers
  • Probation officers
  • Welfare professionals

You also don’t need to provide criminal records for any period in which you were under the age of 18.

Leave to Remain After a Tier 4 Dependent Visa

If your parent or partner is settled in the UK, you may be eligible for ‘leave to remain’.

You can apply for ‘limited leave to remain’ if they have a points-based Tier 4 visa. If they have ‘indefinite leave to remain’ in the UK, you can apply for this too.

For help with your dependent visa application, get in touch.

We're here for you.

Frequently asked questions.

Can Tier 4 dependent visa holders work?

Tier 4 dependent visa holders can only work if the Tier 4 visa holder’s visa is valid for more than 12 months, or if the holder is a government sponsored student.

Can I apply for a Tier 4 dependent visa from in the UK?

Yes, you can apply for a Tier 4 dependent visa from either inside or outside of the UK. The only visa type you cannot apply to switch to another category from is the UK visitor visa.

Who can apply for a Tier 4 dependent visa?

Spouses, civil partners, cohabiting partners and children of Tier 4 (student) visa holders can apply for a Tier 4 dependent visa.

You will have to provide evidence that you are either in a relationship with your partner or that you have a parent-child relationship with the child you are applying for a dependent visa on behalf of.

If you are applying as a child or for your child, both parents must be present in the UK and cannot be here on a visitor visa.