UK Dependent Visa Applications

UK Dependant Visa
Legally reviewed by: Nisha Leel

Applying for a Dependent Visa UK

You can apply for a UK dependent visa as a partner of a UK visa holder. The dependent visa will then allow you to live in the UK for the same amount of time as the main visa holder.

Not all visa holders can bring dependants to the UK. It depends on the type of visa your partner is on.

We may be able to help you apply for a UK visa as an adult if your partner holds a points-based student visa or an ancestry visa.

If you are the partner of a British citizen and you would like to move to the UK to join them, you can apply for a spouse visa or an unmarried partner’s visa.

If you and your partner are getting married in the UK you can apply for a marriage visitor visa, and if you would like to get married in the UK and then remain there you can apply for a fiance visa.

Child Dependent Visa UK

If you have a child under the age of 18 and you, as their parent, are living in the UK we can help you bring your child to come live with you on a child dependent visa. You can apply to the home office for a child dependent visa if you are a visa holder, a British citizen, or a holder of indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

Read more about child visas.

Applying for a UK Dependent Visa

Applying for a visa can be a very complex process. However, with our help you can feel confident that everything will be managed correctly.

We hold a 100 percent success rate on points-based visa applications and we been highly successful with all the family visa applications we have handled.

If you would like expert support with your dependent visa UK application, our immigration solicitors are here for you. You can call or email us today, or request a call back, to go through your options in detail.

Dependent Visa Requirements

You can apply for a UK dependent visa from inside or outside the country.

Do keep in mind, if you are applying from inside the UK you cannot currently be staying here on a visitor visa.

Any adult applying for a dependant visa has to be either the spouse, civil partner, unmarried partner or same-sex partner of the main visa holder. That main visa holder can either be:

  • Already living in the UK on their visa, or
  • In the process of applying for their visa

You can apply for your dependant visa at the same time as your family member, or after them, even if they have already been living in the UK for some time. However, you may not arrive in the UK before them.

If you are unmarried or same-sex partners, you need to have been living together in a relationship equivalent to a marriage/civil partnership for at least two years.

Maintenance Requirements

The law states that you must be able to support yourselves for the entire duration of your stay in the UK without needing help from public funds.

However, exceptions do apply. Dependents of anyone with a Tier 1 exceptional talent visa don’t have to meet these maintenance requirements.

English Language Requirements

There are currently no English language requirements for dependants of individuals with a points-based visa.

What This Type of Visa Will Allow

Once they’ve been issued, dependent visas are valid for the same length of time as the main applicant’s visa and allow multiple entries and departures from the UK. Once the main applicant’s visa expires, the dependant’s visa expires too.

Dependent visa holders are generally allowed to work and study during their time in the UK.

The only exception is for anyone with a Tier 4 dependant visa. If the main applicant’s Tier 4 visa is valid for less than 12 months, dependants can’t work in the UK, unless the main applicant is a government sponsored student.

Start Your Dependent Visa Application

The application process for the UK dependant visa isn’t straight-forward, but you don’t need to worry.

Our immigration solicitors are here to support you with your dependent visa UK application from start to finish, no matter how challenging your circumstances may be. If you want to feel confident your application is as good as it can be, get in touch today.

We're here for you.

Frequently asked questions.

Can dependent visa holder work in UK?

Yes, most dependent visa holders can work in the UK during their stay. However, if you are the dependent of a tier 4 visa holder and their visa is valid for under a year, it’s unlikely that you will be allowed to work whilst in the UK.

Can I apply for dependent visa from UK?

Yes, you can apply for a dependent visa from inside the UK. The only situation where this is not possible is if you are currently staying in the UK on a visitor visa.

The main visa holder – who you are applying as a dependent of – must either be already living in the UK or in the process of applying for their visa at the point when you apply. You will not be allowed to arrive in the UK before they do.

How to apply for dependent visa for UK?

You can apply for a dependent visa by yourself, however bear in mind that the process can become very complicated so it may be in your best interests to enlist the help of specialised immigration solicitors.

Our experts can help you with your application from start to finish, guiding you through the process to ensure you get the best chance at success.