Legally reviewed by: Nisha Leel Updated:

Immigration Solicitors in Leeds

Get in touch

With a team of specialist immigration solicitors in Leeds, Cartwright King is widely regarded as a leading law firm advising clients across Yorkshire on a number of immigration matters including visa applications, asylum law and deportation. Recognised by the Legal 500, we are experts in the field and we have an excellent track record of successfully resolving cases regarding both business and personal immigration issues. 

Our expertise is regularly requested by individuals who are based overseas, so please don’t hesitate to contact our immigration law team, regardless of whether you are in the UK or abroad. We work with precision and commitment to ensure that you can legally live, work and study in the UK. 

To discuss your immigration needs, call 0113 887 7229 to speak with the Cartwright King immigration solicitors in Leeds and benefit from a free, no-obligation, initial consultation.

How Cartwright King Leeds can help

With our experienced team of immigration solicitors in Leeds by your side, completing your visa application correctly and on time will not be a problem. We are here to liaise with the Home Office on your behalf and we navigate the complexities of immigration law to achieve a positive outcome for you. 

You can also rely on us for legal advice and guidance in difficult circumstances, such as when your visa application has been unsuccessful or if you or your loved ones are facing detention and deportation. 

At Cartwright King, we regularly work with employers and private individuals to resolve a variety of immigration matters, such as:

  • UK Visa Applications We can assist you with the application process for any type of UK visa, including Skilled Worker Visas (Tier 2), Student Visas (Tier 4) and Government Authorised Exchange Visa (Tier 5)
  • Business Immigration We facilitate Sponsor Licence applications and Intra Company Transfers for UK-based employers who wish to hire non-EEA nationals
  • EU Law & Brexit Following the UK’s exit from the EU, we advise EU nationals on their settled and pre-settled status
  • UK Immigration Detention When you or your family are being held in a detention centre or you have been told you are subject to deportation, our immigration solicitors in Leeds can provide legal support
  • UK Asylum & Human Rights If you are seeking asylum in the UK or you wish to appeal a deportation decision against you, speak to us for advice
  • Judicial Reviews If your visa or asylum application has been denied we can challenge an unlawful decision made by the UKVI on your behalf
  • See all

Our immigration solicitors can also help with…

  • Right to rent checks
  • Home Office compliance and illegal working prevention
  • Civil enforcement notices
  • Business premises site visits
  • COVID requirements for immigration workers 

Challenging Home Office Refusal Decisions

Receiving a refusal decision on your visa application from the Home Office can be jarring so it’s vital to seek legal advice as quickly as possible. If the refusal made by the Home Office UKVI is unlawful, our immigration solicitors in Leeds can take action to reverse that decision. If you have been denied permission to live, work and study in the UK, Cartwright King can help you challenge that decision. 

Suffered delays to your visa application that has resulted in prejudice against you? Our team can also challenge the delay caused by Home Office UKVI to protect your rights and secure a faster resolution to your immigration case.

No-Obligation Consultation with an Immigration Solicitor

At Cartwright King, we understand that choosing a lawyer to represent you is often based on trust and excellent communication. Therefore, even though our high success rate speaks for itself, our immigration solicitors in Leeds are always ready to take the additional time to talk with each and every prospective client and build a personal connection. 

To ensure you are confident moving forward with our team, we offer an initial free, no-obligation telephone consultation*. It gives us the chance to: 

  • Get to know each other  
  • Learn the details of your case 
  • Talk about the possible next steps moving forward 

Everything we discuss over the phone in this initial conversation is confidential, so you can speak openly with our team. This is a no-obligation consultation which means that you will have the opportunity to test whether you are happy with the way we work without any obligation to hire us after the initial call. 

Call our Leeds-based immigration law experts on 0113 887 7229 to benefit from your initial free consultation today. 

*Please note that during the “get to know you” call, you will not be given any detailed legal advice. It’s purely designed for us to find out more and to work out the best way we can help you.

Our Immigration Fees

If you wish to work with Cartwright King Leeds following our initial “get to know you” conversation over the telephone, we will take swift action to resolve your immigration matter. 

Every case is different, so the cost of using the services of an immigration solicitor will vary depending on the complexity of your situation. To help you get a clear picture of how much you will have to pay in immigration fees, we are fully transparent about our pricing and we clearly list the cost of all our immigration law services.

Our immigration solicitors in Leeds cannot offer Legal Aid for an immigration law case. Instead, we can offer fixed-fee immigration service packages that are designed to be affordable for paying individuals.

Why Choose Cartwright King’s Immigration Solicitors in Leeds?

Our experienced team of immigration solicitors in Leeds has been advising a wide range of business and private clients since 2015. During that time Cartwright King built its reputation as a leading Legal 500 immigration law firm in Yorkshire.

You can rely on us to act quickly and efficiently to secure the best possible outcome of your case, whether it is a visa application, challenging a refusal decision or fighting a deportation decision. Our specialist immigration team regularly advises clients who are based outside the UK, so we can help you wherever in the world you are based.

Our professional and understanding approach is at the foundation of our client relationships. Delivering excellent immigration law services at affordable rates, we obtain exceptional success results that earn us a five-star rating from our clients.

Our Leeds Office

Cartwright King’s team of immigration law specialists is based in our legal offices located on 3rd Floor St. Paul’s House, 23 Park Square South, Leeds, LS1 2ND

If you are planning to travel to Leeds by train, you’ll find us just 7 minutes away from  Leeds station. As you exit through the main entrance, turn left on Wellington Street and take the first turn on to City Square. Turn left on Quebec Street and continue on to Park Place. Next, turn right onto Central Street then turn left onto St Paul’s St, turn right onto St Paul’s Place and then turn left onto Park Square.

If you are travelling by car, From the M621 take exit 2 to take the A643 towards Wetherby/A58/Harrogate/A61/A64/York. When you reach the Elland Rd Interchange, take the first exit onto A643. At the roundabout, take the fourth Exit onto Wellington Rd/A58 followed by the Wellington Rd Exit towards Industrial Estate. Continue on to Wellington Rd and take a slight right on A58. Turn right on to West St and keep right to continue on A58. Then continue straight on to Wellington St and turn left onto Little Queen St. You will then see Castle Street car park on the left.

The nearest parking facilities (within 5 minutes walk) are:

  • On-street pay-and-display parking on St Paul’s Street, Little Queen Street and Queen Street next to Carlton Tower
  • The Leeds train station car park
  • Multi-storey car-parks on Little Queen Street, Castle Street and off Wellington Street

To have your initial no-obligation phone consultation with an immigration solicitor in Leeds, call us on 0113 887 7229 or use the form below to tell us about your case.

We're here for you.


What type of visa do I need to work in Leeds?

Leeds is one of the UK’s largest economic hubs for a variety of sectors from legal and finance to manufacturing. Due to the number of job opportunities available, many foreign nationals are drawn to seek employment in Leeds. If you are a non-EEA national, you will need to be granted a Government Authorised Exchange visa (T5) to be legally employed by a business in Leeds. 

The first condition for your work visa application is to have an offer of employment from a business based in the UK. If you are a temporary worker (contract is less than 12 months), you need a Tier 5 Government Authorised Exchange Visa. If you are offered a permanent position, then you need to apply for a Tier 2 Work Visa which typically grants you the right to live and work in the UK for at least two and a half years. 

There are four different types of Tier 2 Visas that you can apply for:

  • Skilled Workers Visa: This applies to a certain list of occupations including barristers, engineers, sales and marketing managers, nurses, doctors, IT specialists, bankers and more. 
  • Intra Company Transfer Visa: You need this when you work in a multinational corporation and you have been offered a transfer to a position in the UK branch
  • Sportsperson Visa: If you are a professional sportsman, this is the visa you need to work in the UK

Minister of Religion Visa: For those who wish to work in a UK faith-based community

I’m a UK-based employer and I want to hire a non-UK national to work in Leeds. What should I do?

To bring in talent from overseas, you need to take certain steps to ensure your business is eligible. 

First of all, you must be granted a sponsorship license to be allowed to hire foreign employees.

Then, you must develop an internal system of assigning certificates of sponsorship to people you wish to hire as their unique sponsorship number will be required when they apply for a UK visa.

You must also fulfil all legal duties of a UK employer of overseas nationals, such as:

  • Ensure your foreign employees are qualified for the job
  • Keep documentation proving their professional accreditations
  • Notify the UKVI if your sponsored worker breaks the conditions of their visa
  • Notify the UKVI about changes of circumstances such as termination of employment

The Cartwright King team of immigration solicitors in Leeds is on hand to offer expert advice and guide you through the process to ensure your legal compliance.

How would I know if I’m eligible for a Spouse Visa?

The Spouse Visa allows you to live, work and study in the UK without restrictions, It usually lasts up to 30 months but you can apply for a visa extension to be granted another 30 months after that. 

To be eligible for a UK Spouse Visa, you are required to:

  • Be over 18 years of age
  • Be a non-EEA national married or in a civil partnership with a UK citizen or a permanent resident 
  • Have lived with your partner for at least two years prior to applying for a Spouse Visa
  • Have a combined income of a minimum of £18,600 if you have no children 
  • Have an additional £3,800 of income for your first child and an additional £2,400 for each child after the first
  • Have suitable accommodation in the UK for you and your family
  • Pass an English language test (unless you are exempt or you come from an English-speaking country)

Can I apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK?

To be eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain, you must have lived legally in the UK for at least five years. Usually, this would apply to people who have been in the UK for the duration of the five years under a Spouse Visa, Unmarried Partner Visa or a Tier 2 work visa.

If you have been residing in the UK on a Tier 1 Investor or Innovator Visa, you can be granted an Indefinite Leave to Remain after only three years.

Indefinite Leave to Remain gives you the right to live, work and study in the UK with no restrictions. Following your first year of living in the UK under Indefinite Leave to Remain, you can apply for British Citizenship. 

For your Indefinite Leave to Remain application to be successful, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must have lived in the UK continuously for at least five years prior to the date of application
  • During the five years, you must not have lived outside the UK for more than 90 days in any given 12-month period
  • You must have not have broken the conditions of your immigration status
  • You must pass the Life in the UK test which consists of multiple-choice questions based on the history, customs and culture of the UK
  • If your native language is not English, you must demonstrate a minimum of B1 level of English proficiency (exemptions apply)

I want to study in Leeds. Can you help me apply for a Students Visa?

With more than 60,000 students studying in the city’s three universities, Leeds is fourth in the UK when it comes to its student population. For non-EEA nationals, a Student Visa is required. 

To be granted a Student Visa, you must:

  • Have an unconditional offer from a UK university
  • Your university is a licensed Tier 4 sponsor
  • You must demonstrate that you have a B2 level or higher in English by passing a SELT test by an accredited test provider 
  • You must show proof that you can support yourself financially while you are studying in the UK

The Student Visa application fee is £348 and you must pay an additional £348 for any dependents you would like to accompany you in the UK.

If you are granted a Student Visa, your biometric information (fingerprints and photo) will be taken at a visa application centre which then allows you to collect your official Biometric Residence Permit within 10 days of arriving in the UK. 

Your Student Visa can be extended if your sponsorship is still valid.

Do I need to be granted a visa to visit Leeds as a tourist?

If you are a non-EEA national who is planning to visit the beautiful Yorkshire and explore some of Leeds’ top attractions including the Royal Armouries Museum and Kirkstall Abbey, or you simply want to enjoy seeing Leeds United play at their home stadium, you will require a Standard Visitor Visa. It allows you to stay in the UK and discover the country for up to six months.

To be considered eligible for a Standard Visitor Visa, you will have to:

  • Show proof that you will leave the UK within six months (this can be your return ticket)
  • Demonstrate that you can financially support yourself during your stay 
  • Prove you have the necessary funds to buy a return ticket if you haven’t done so already

Where are your immigration solicitors based?

We regularly advise clients throughout the UK and overseas from our legal offices in Leeds, Birmingham, Derby, Leicester and Nottingham.

What our clients are saying about us

See our reviews at
  • Chet Desai is amazing 

    Chet Desai is amazing. Great support and advice. He even attended a meeting with me at very last minute. Highly recommend
    Meera Pala, (November 2023)
  • Great help with the ILR application 

    Sherena Lawrence has provided excellent support throughout my application for Indefinite Leave to Remain. At every step of the process, she explained in detail what needed to be done. Sherena ... Read more Great help with the ILR application
    Ilia, (November 2023)
  • Recommend 

    Sharad came as a recommendation from another solicitor and I am hugely grateful that he was. The advice, support and professionalism was reassuring at time when I was at a ... Read more Recommend
    Andrew Buglass, (November 2023)
  • Absolutely amazing 

    Honestly, amazing experience with our lawyer Sherena Lawrence. Very professional, knows her stuff, kept us updated instantly, kept us feeling prioritised. We had a positive outcome of our case and ... Read more Absolutely amazing
    Salah Salem, Review Solicitors (November 2023)
  • Fantastic, friendly service 

    Was in need of a criminal defence solicitor recently , I contacted Cartwright King via there website and received a call from James within hours , visited the office the ... Read more Fantastic, friendly service
    Carla Auty, (October 2023)
  • Great 

    If you are looking for a family child care firm then I would most definitely recommend Cartwright King. Fiona Bowen was great with communication both via emails and phone calls. ... Read more Great
    JS, (October 2023)
  • Professional but Human! 

    Leanne was a pleasure to deal with despite the nature of my case. Leanne and her team were amazing both in court and out of court. Communication between Leanne and ... Read more Professional but Human!
    Ben, Review Solicitors (October 2023)
  • Best choice 

    Having done my research and reading reviews I decided on Cartwright King. I am so glad I did. The best decision I made. Communication with James started straight away he ... Read more Best choice
    Client, Review Solicitors (September 2023)
  • Caring and Professional 

    Abbie gave clear and honest advice on my case and helped lift some of the burden. A most pleasant and caring solicitor.
    Richard, Review Solicitors (September 2023)