Joining a Parent – UK Child Visa

Child Visa
Legally reviewed by: Sherena Lawrence

Joining Your Parent in the UK

If you are from outside the European Economic Area and want to join your parent or parents in the UK, you will have to apply for your own UK child visa.

Our team of friendly solicitors can guide you through every step of your UK child visa application, making sure that you understand the process and helping you to reach the best outcome for you.

Applying for a UK Child Visa

Who Can Apply for a Child Visa

If you are under 18 and want to join a parent in the UK for more than six months, you should apply for a child visa.

You must be a non-EEA or Swiss national, and at least one of your parents must be permanently settled in the UK when you apply for a child visa. This means they can be a British citizen, hold indefinite leave to remain in the UK, or have asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK.

If you aren’t sure whether a child visa is right for you, our team can help you decide.

General Requirements

When you apply for a UK child visa to join your parent, you will have to provide a certain amount of evidence to the Home Office before they can grant you entry clearance to the UK.

To be successful in your child visa application, you will have to prove that:

  • Your relationship with your parent is genuine – you can prove this using evidence of contacts such as texts, emails, phone logs and your birth certificate
  • You have suitable accommodation arrangements for when you arrive in the UK, such as a tenancy agreement or mortgage statement with a letter from your parent/s or their landlord confirming that you can live there
  • You intend to live with your parent in the UK after you arrive
  • You have a good knowledge of English – you may have to take a certified English Language Test

Financial Requirements for a UK Child Visa

There are financial requirements which your parent who is living in the UK has to meet at the time you’re applying for your UK child visa. They must have an income of at least £18,600 per year if you are their only child who will be dependent on them in the UK.

If you have any siblings who will also be dependent on the UK parent, they will have to earn extra per year per child.

How Long You Can Stay

If your child visa application to join your parent is successful you will be able to live in the UK for up to two-and-a-half years.

After this, you can apply for another two-and-a-half years’ extension on your UK child visa before you can settle permanently in the UK, without having to apply for any more extensions.

Expert Advice and Support with your UK Child Visa Application

We Can Help You

It might feel quite daunting to apply for a UK child visa. However, you don’t need to worry, because our immigration solicitors can help you through your whole application process.

We will support you the entire time so that you can get the result you need and join your parent/s living in the UK.

If you’re ready to make your move and apply for your visa, get in touch today to find out more about how we can help, or request a callback.

We're here for you.