UK Settlement Visa

UK settlement visa
Legally reviewed by: Sherena Lawrence

UK Settlement Visa

Settling in the UK is a big step to take, and applying for settlement can be a challenge, which is why our solicitors are here for you. We can help you and your family with your UK settlement visa application from start to finish.

As soon as you’re ready, we will guide you through every aspect of the application process to give you and your family the best possible chance of success with your UK settlement application.

Help to Settle – Apply for Residency UK

What is a UK Settlement Visa?

A UK settlement visa lets you live, work and study in the UK with almost no future restrictions.

Permanent settlement status in the UK, also known as indefinite leave to remain, is the most comprehensive and long-term status you can obtain.

Applying for permanent settlement can be complex. However, our expert immigration solicitors are on hand to assist you every step of the way.

When Can You Apply for UK Settlement?

You can apply for a UK settlement visa if you have been in the UK for five or more years on a different type of visa, such as work, study or business visa. You can also apply for settlement if you are from the EEA or Switzerland and have lived here for the same amount of time.

If you would like some expert advice to find out if you’re eligible, get in touch with our team today for a 30-minute consultation by sending over your contact details today.

How Long Can You Stay as a UK Resident?

The UK settlement visa allows an individual to remain in the UK for as long as they wish. Because there are nearly no restrictions, these visas are commonly sought by anyone who has held a previous long-term visa.

Once you’ve lived in the UK for at least a year on a settlement visa, you will be eligible to apply for British citizenship.

Our solicitors can offer help securing both settlement status and British citizenship, with a long track record of success in both.

Who is Eligible to Apply to Settle in the UK – Apply for Residency UK

Settle on the Basis of Long Continuous Residence

If you have been lawfully living in the UK for ten years or more, you may be eligible to apply for your UK settlement visa on the basis of ‘long continuous residence’.

You may also be eligible to apply for limited leave to remain on the basis of long continuous residence if you have been in the UK for 20 years or more, even if some or all of that time was spent in the UK unlawfully.

Read more about long continuous residence

Permanently Join Your Partner in the UK

If you and your partner are in a genuine relationship and your partner is a UK citizen, EEA citizen living in the UK or a holder of ‘indefinite leave to remain’, you may be able to join them here permanently on a UK settlement visa.

Learn more about settling down with family members

Permanently Join Your Parents in the UK

If you are the child dependant of a British citizen or a person with settled status, you may eligible for a visa to live in the UK.

As long as you are a dependent of the parent or parents who currently live in the UK, and are under the age of 18, you should be able to settle with them too on the UK settlement visa.

Learn more about settling down with family members

Permanently Join Your Parent or Partner Who Has Settled in the UK On a Point-Based Visa

If your partner is a migrant worker in the UK, you can apply to join them as a points-based system dependant. You can only do this if you intend to live with them and your relationship is genuine.

Learn more about visas for dependants of Tier 1, 2 and 5 visa holders

Learn more about visas for dependants of Tier 4 Visa Holders

Apply For a Permanent Residence Card

If you are an EEA citizen, you can apply for a ‘permanent residence card’ to prove your permanent residency and help you settle in the UK indefinitely.

Learn more about permanent residence cards

Apply for Humanitarian Protection and Asylum

If you already have a residence card, you may be able to apply for your settlement visa in the UK indefinitely as either:

  • A refugee
  • A person with humanitarian protection

Learn more about humanitarian protection and asylum

Apply for British Citizenship and Naturalisation

You may be able to apply for British citizenship if:

  • You are 18 or over
  • You are of good character
  • You will continue to live in the UK
  • You meet the knowledge of English and Life in the UK requirements
  • You meet the residency requirement
  • You have lived in the UK for at least five years and spent less than 450 days outside the UK in that time

If you are from the EEA you must have held indefinite leave to remain for at least 12 months before you can apply.

Learn more about becoming a British citizen

Your UK Settlement Visa – Apply for Residency UK

Applying for a UK Settlement Visa with Cartwright King

Your current visa will determine when you might be able to apply for settlement. As you can imagine this is unique to every client.

Our immigration solicitors have the knowledge and experience to tailor their advice so that it is completely bespoke to your specific situation. To ensure the process is stress-free for you we provide you with all our immigration advice clearly and understandably.

After you have lived in the UK on a settlement visa for several years we can also help you secure your British citizenship and a British passport.

Advice and Support for UK Settlement

Our immigration solicitors are here to help you apply for your UK settlement visa while making the application process as painless and smooth as possible.

We are highly skilled and experienced in the field of immigration law and we speak a variety of languages.

The process of settling down in the UK can be complex and for some, there are significant obstacles to overcome.

If you are finding yourself unable to fulfil the government’s requirements to stay in the UK indefinitely, you and your family may be able to apply for discretionary leave to remain.

To find out if you are eligible to settle in the UK and how we can help you, get in touch with our friendly immigration team today.

We're here for you.