Armed Forces Military Accident Claims

Armed Forces Military Accident Claims

How Cartwright King Can Help?

If you or a loved one has become unwell or injured due to negligence during military service, our expert military solicitors can guide you through military accident claim.

Our military solicitors will assess your case and inform of you of what compensation you may be entitled to.

All military accident claims are handled on a no-win, no-fee basis and all consultations are free of charge.

If you have been injured in an accident due to negligence in the military, Cartwright King can guide you through your claim. Get in touch on 03458 941 622 or use our online form.

What Can I Claim For?

When making military accident claims, all aspects of your life will be taken into account. This includes any factors of your life that might have been affected by the injury. Our solicitors can help you claim injury compensation to cover all areas.

In addition to injury pay, you are entitled to be compensated if you have:

  • had to be medically discharged.
  • lost basic pay and specialist pay.
  • lost a promotion.
  • lost the ability to further your career in the armed forces.
  • lost any of your pension.

Our solicitors can help you make sure you receive your longer separation allowance and benefits, as well as local overseas allowance.

Furthermore, our solicitors will ensure you are compensated for any loss of:

  • accommodation.
  • bills that were covered by the armed forces.
  • benefits you have received whilst in the armed forces (gym membership, dental cover, and cover for medical prescriptions).

Military Accident Claims

Training Accidents

Although training accidents happen, they should never be as a result of lack of safety measures. If you have suffered a training accident injury, you should not be left to deal with the consequences. 

If a training accident results in an injury our expert solicitors can help you assess your eligibility to claim compensation.

We can assist you with your claim if your injury was due to inadequate equipment, lack of training preparation, a lack of briefing to the training exercise or from a lack of PPE.

Combat Accidents

You can file a combat accident claim against the Ministry of Defence (MoD) for any injuries you have suffered as a result of combat situation. If the MoD has claimed that the military has failed their duty to protect you, you are then able to claim compensation with the help of our military solicitors.

An example that the MoD would consider a failed duty of care is if you were not given proper equipment or suitable training.

If you have sustained an injury during combat due to a failing of the MoD, our solicitors can help you claim compensation.

Military Hearing Loss Claims

Without adequate hearing protection you can suffer lifetime hearing damage. It’s your employer’s responsibility to ensure adequate hearing protection is provided during your service.

Exposure to loud noises without adequate hearing equipment can result in hearing loss and tinnitus in one or both ears. This can be attributed to exposure to excessive noise or as a single instance of exposure to a very loud noise.

If you have not been provided adequate hearing protection during your service, resulting in hearing damage or tinnitus, you may be eligible to claim compensation.

Exposure to Harmful Substances

In some military roles you will be required to work closely with, or around harmful substances. This includes cleansing chemicals, petrol, gas, and asbestos. Your employer should ensure that the right protective measures are in place, to prevent your exposure to the hazardous substances. Exposure to the harmful substances can result in conditions such as dermatitis, asthma, and cancer.

If your health has been compromised due to exposure to harmful chemicals during your military service, you have the right to claim compensation.

Criminal Injury Claims

If you have been the victim of criminal violence during your service in the military, you may be able to make a claim for criminal injury compensation.

There are two types of schemes, supporting those who have become a victim of criminal violence:

If you bring a claim using the CICO scheme, it must be countersigned by your Commanding Officer.

Amputation Claims

If a serious accident occurs during your military service as a due to of a lack of safety measures, faulty equipment, or a lack of training, you may be eligible to make a claim. In a situation where preventable accidents leave you requiring amputation, you are entitled to compensation.

Our solicitors understand the life-long impact amputation can have physically, mentally, and financially.  To help you relieve financial pressures brought on by your amputation, we can help you assess if you are eligible for compensation.

If you no longer have the ability to work and earn, military accident compensation can ensure that your finances are taken care of.

Fatal Injury Claims

In situations where you have lost a loved one in a military accident due to military negligence, our solicitors can help with your fatal injury claim, and get you the answers you need for closure.

We can help you assess if you are eligible to make a claim for the death of your loved one. Our military accident claims solicitors will go through what happened in detail, helping you receive compensation, and justice.

Military Medical Negligence

If you are serving in the armed forces, you may receive medical care in a hospital. The care you receive should be of the highest standard and never result in avoidable illness or loss of life.

If you have suffered medical negligence during your service, our solicitors can help you start your military accident claims, get the compensation needed to help you move forward.

Non-Freezing Cold Injury (NFCI)

Although non-freezing cold injuries (NCFI)s are largely preventable, they can also be serious career-ending injuries. Although the Ministry of Defence have provided clear guidance to the risk of injury, Commanders can still neglect their duty to prevent it. Service personnel should be trained to recognise the signs of cold injury. This way, quick treatment can be administered to prevent irreversible damage.

If you are unable to work or are suffering due to NCFI, our military accident claims solicitors can help you claim compensation.

PTSD Compensation

Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a complex disorder. PTSD can be the result of several experiences and circumstances that happened to you during your time in the military.

PTSD can have both physical and mental symptoms. These symptoms may not occur immediately after exposure to stressful situations but may take many years to manifest. You can make a claim following a diagnosis of PTSD. Additionally, it is possible to make a claim if you have not been properly diagnosed or treated. For example, if you have exhibited clear symptoms of PTSD historically, that were not addressed.

Frequently asked questions.

Can I Make a Claim if I Have Received Compensation from the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS)?

You can make a claim if you have already received AFCS. You can claim additional compensation if the injury was not your fault, but came about because of an incident. If you make a claim under AFCS, you generally have 7 years after your injury to make a claim.

How Long Do I Have to Make a Claim?

You must start your claim within 3 years of the injury to make a personal injury claim due to an accident in the armed forces. However, it’s best to start your claim as soon as you’re able to after your injury.

We're here for you.